Feb 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE II: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the person who suggested that Schilling take PEDs was investigated by MLB and cleared. It seems that the individual was eventually fired by the Red Sox, but not for that specific incident.
UPDATE: Pete Abraham has more. And, yes, apparently there was an investigation back in 2008. Which, OK, we’ll take baseball’s word for that. Funny, though, that a few short hours ago baseball, when asked, said that it would look into Schilling’s comments and made no mention of an investigation occurring back in 2008.
5:30 PM: Micheal S. Schmidt is hearing so:
— Michael S. Schmidt (@MichaelSSchmidt) February 7, 2013
Schilling did say that the person was no longer employed by the Red Sox, so that would match. At the same time, given that Schilling was talking about this person in the context of PEDs in baseball and the league’s response to it, you’d think Schilling would mention that as a means of noting MLB being proactive about such things.
And when he said on Twitter earlier today that he wouldn’t name the person, you’d think that a logical response would be to say “there’s no point in doing so; the person was already fired for it.” Instead Schilling made it sound like it should all remain hush-hush.
Still, this should be easy to check. Someone with the Red Sox or Major League Baseball should be able to say — and should be willing to say — what Schmidt is saying here. Indeed, since “#thesystemworked” you’d think they’d be proud to say so.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)