Feb 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE II: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the person who suggested that Schilling take PEDs was investigated by MLB and cleared. It seems that the individual was eventually fired by the Red Sox, but not for that specific incident.
UPDATE: Pete Abraham has more. And, yes, apparently there was an investigation back in 2008. Which, OK, we’ll take baseball’s word for that. Funny, though, that a few short hours ago baseball, when asked, said that it would look into Schilling’s comments and made no mention of an investigation occurring back in 2008.
5:30 PM: Micheal S. Schmidt is hearing so:
— Michael S. Schmidt (@MichaelSSchmidt) February 7, 2013
Schilling did say that the person was no longer employed by the Red Sox, so that would match. At the same time, given that Schilling was talking about this person in the context of PEDs in baseball and the league’s response to it, you’d think Schilling would mention that as a means of noting MLB being proactive about such things.
And when he said on Twitter earlier today that he wouldn’t name the person, you’d think that a logical response would be to say “there’s no point in doing so; the person was already fired for it.” Instead Schilling made it sound like it should all remain hush-hush.
Still, this should be easy to check. Someone with the Red Sox or Major League Baseball should be able to say — and should be willing to say — what Schmidt is saying here. Indeed, since “#thesystemworked” you’d think they’d be proud to say so.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)