Feb 8, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Three weeks after Aaron Hill and the Diamondbacks were said to be having preliminary extension talks the two sides have agreed to a deal, with Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reporting that Hill will get $35 million for three seasons.
Hill signed a two-year, $11 million deal last offseason and would have become a free agent after this season, so it’s easy to see how much his leverage increased following a year in which the second baseman hit .302 with 26 homers, 44 doubles, and an .882 OPS in 156 games while playing his usual stellar defense.
Hill was terrible in his final season-and-a-half in Toronto, allowing Arizona to acquire him at a discount in mid-2011, but he’s been fantastic for the Diamondbacks with a .304 batting average and .881 OPS in 189 total games.
Arizona was able to keep the commitment relatively short–Hill will be 34 years old when the deal ends–and $11.667 million per season is similar to the average annual value in recent deals for fellow second basemen Brandon Phillips and Dan Uggla.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)