Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Adam Wainwright said a few weeks ago that he was optimistic about long-term extension talks with the Cardinals and with the right-hander arriving at spring training yesterday Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the two sides have had “casual” discussions about a deal.
Goold classified the talks as “ongoing” and added that they “expect discussions to intensify on an extension after the start of spring training.”
Wainwright is entering the final season of a contract signed in March of 2008 and will be paid $12 million before hitting the open market at age 32.
Obviously his age means that using Felix Hernandez‘s massive extension with the Mariners as a starting point won’t make much sense–King Felix will be Wainwright’s current age when that deal is over, after all–but in terms of recent extensions establishing a per-season price for top-line starters $20 million seems like the baseline right now. The bigger question will be how comfortable the Cardinals feel committing to Wainwright into his mid-30s.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
It doesn’t appear Justin Morneau will be returning to the Rockies anytime soon.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Miguel Sano hit the first of what should be many major league home runs.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Hunter Pence is back from his second major injury this season. Maybe this time he’ll stick.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
The Phillies’ GM was pretty blunt about who would be playing second base when Chase Utley returns. It ain’t Chase Utley.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Albert Pujols will participate in the 2015 Home Run Derby. It will be his fourth career appearance in the Derby.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Jenrry Mejia is back with the Mets after missing 80 games due to a positive test for Stanozolol.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Paulo Orlando did what kids pretend to do in their backyards: he hit a walk-off grand slam.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
On the bright side: he has his velocity back.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Two key players are ready to rejoin the Yankees after missing extended time with injuries.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:57 PM EDT
He’ll likely be evaluated for a concussion.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Yes, those are real people.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He went 0-3 with a 6.56 ERA in five starts.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Can you feel the excitement?
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
There are guys who check stuff these days, Dave. So better to be vague.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jaso has been out since Opening Day with a bruised left wrist.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Many have sured Major League Baseball over such things in the past.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“I’ve always been straightforward that I want to go play for a contender and I’m not going to shy away from it.”
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
And even Andrelton Simmons, the best defensive player in baseball, says he wouldn’t sit as close as that without protective netting.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Odorizzi threw 5.2 shutout innings on 73 pitches in a minor-league rehab start Monday.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
Not that I’m gonna try to tell you how to play this game.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)