Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Adam Wainwright said a few weeks ago that he was optimistic about long-term extension talks with the Cardinals and with the right-hander arriving at spring training yesterday Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the two sides have had “casual” discussions about a deal.
Goold classified the talks as “ongoing” and added that they “expect discussions to intensify on an extension after the start of spring training.”
Wainwright is entering the final season of a contract signed in March of 2008 and will be paid $12 million before hitting the open market at age 32.
Obviously his age means that using Felix Hernandez‘s massive extension with the Mariners as a starting point won’t make much sense–King Felix will be Wainwright’s current age when that deal is over, after all–but in terms of recent extensions establishing a per-season price for top-line starters $20 million seems like the baseline right now. The bigger question will be how comfortable the Cardinals feel committing to Wainwright into his mid-30s.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Some key players are making some encouraging strides on the health front.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
After facing a pitching machine during an intrasquad game today, Alex Rodriguez is ready for his first real-live game action since September of 2013.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
Seems a bit light as far as these things go.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
Trammell and Whitaker in Detroit? Carter and Hernandez with the Mets?
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Lester joined the Cubs on a six-year, $155 million deal in December.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2011 the Minnesota native has a 2.74 ERA and 286/63 K/BB ratio in 256 innings.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Though pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is taking over for Chris Sale, he likely isn’t pitching for an Opening Day role with the White Sox.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes could see himself wearing a Tigers uniform for many years.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper wants to do more to help out on offense for the Nationals.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)