Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Adam Wainwright said a few weeks ago that he was optimistic about long-term extension talks with the Cardinals and with the right-hander arriving at spring training yesterday Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the two sides have had “casual” discussions about a deal.
Goold classified the talks as “ongoing” and added that they “expect discussions to intensify on an extension after the start of spring training.”
Wainwright is entering the final season of a contract signed in March of 2008 and will be paid $12 million before hitting the open market at age 32.
Obviously his age means that using Felix Hernandez‘s massive extension with the Mariners as a starting point won’t make much sense–King Felix will be Wainwright’s current age when that deal is over, after all–but in terms of recent extensions establishing a per-season price for top-line starters $20 million seems like the baseline right now. The bigger question will be how comfortable the Cardinals feel committing to Wainwright into his mid-30s.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
Jul 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Hamels threw a no-hitter against Cubs on Saturday.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The Nats may soon have too solid closers.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
And he thinks Carlos Gonzalez is the next one out the door. He’s probably right.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Giants last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EDT
Why, I have no idea.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
General manager Dayton Moore is not messing around.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Washington or elsewhere?
Jul 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Coors Field is powerful, but Tulowitzki is great anywhere.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
He would be a nice addition to the Nats’ pen, but a costly one given his $13 million vesting option.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Swanson was scheduled to join a minor-league team later this week after signing for $6.5 million.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
He had a right to be angry, but maybe he overdid it a bit?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Washington is getting healthier, but still not quite healthy.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Great Moments in Rounding Error?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
His last five games have been insane.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Dealing him — along with the rumors that they’d consider dealing Yasiel Puig — would continue a trend that Andrew Friedman began when he took over.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Or they’re making a push to make the Dodgers’ life complicated. Either way.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
The trade happened just after the game. Did Rockies ownership consult Tulowitzki on it, as they said they would?
Jul 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
They could’ve topped what Toronto gave Colorado for Troy Tulowitzki. Heck, most teams could’ve. Why didn’t they?
Jul 28, 2015, 7:23 AM EDT
Kris Bryant walked the Rockies off and then the Rockies sent Troy Tulowitzki off.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)