Barry Zito is open to an extension, makes everyone laugh

Feb 8, 2013, 3:15 PM EST

Along the same lines as “Aaron Gleeman is open to dating Kate Mara and said he wants Netflix to hurry up with the second season of ‘House of Cards'” comes this tweet from Giants camp:

Barry Zito will be paid $20 million this season as part of his seven-year, $126 million contract and then the Giants will buy out next season’s $18 million team option for $7 million.

Seriously though: Zoe Barnes.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

there are so many highly paid players that are trash

• fanofevilempire - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

yeah, tell me yours I will tell you mine………

2. smcgaels1997 - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Sure, well extend you for 2 years at no salary to make up for the last 4 before this year

3. missthemexpos - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Alex Rodriguez also would be open to an extension and would like to stay a Yankee till he retires.

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Kate Mara? So you have seen the pictures.

5. jxegh - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Two years until he’s a free agent and he’s talking about an extension? Wow……

6. tfbuckfutter - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You know….you CAN retire a Giant and NOT sign an extension….in fact, that may not be a bad way to go.

7. joerymi - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM

2nd worst contract in MLB history?

• bigdicktater - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I think he earned it last year. Give the guy a break, let’s see how he does in ’13. Go Giants!

• xmatt0926x - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Seriously. Not a giants fan but it seems if a player plays a significant role in helping a team win a world series that that should kind of validate his contract, no matter how bad it may seem. Ask the Cubs, Indians, etc if they’d pay a player $140 million for one good offseason if it would result in a World Series title in just one of those years of the contract.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

*EDIT-oops. Meant to say one good “postseason”, not offseason.

• joerymi - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

The fact that the Giants were able to overcome a bad contract doesn’t make it worth it. If I break my leg on the same day I win the lottery, sure it hurts less but I’m not saying “damn, good thing I broke my leg.”

And no, not a single team would, in retrospect, make that deal. Did his outs in the 2012 postseason have value? No question. Would anyone suggest that value is at an avg of $18 Million a year? No.

I think it is great that he signed that contract. I have nothing but respect for anyone that plays a game I love and makes huge bucks doing. But hindsight being 20/20, perhaps only A-Rod’s contract is worse.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

hahahahha wow awesome. saw all his 6 years with the giants and the first 5 were horrible!!! Either way maybe if he pitches for the minimum the next two years and pitches like he did last year he can make up for the first 5 bad seasons he pitched in pitcher friendly giant stadium.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

well the whole point of playing baseball is to win championships, and Zito was a big part of that last year. He certainly earned his keep last year and they’ve won 2 championships while he’s been with them so clearly he hasn’t been that big of a problem.

9. unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Schulman – Hey Barry, would you be open to the idea of an extension if the Giants came to you?

Barry – Sure, why not, I love it here, I’d love to retire a Giant.

I mean – sure it’s funny and all – but what was he supposed to reply?

10. vallewho - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

The second season of House of Cards is kind of sucking.

11. cackalackyank - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Wait? Did I miss a month and half? Is it actually April 1st already?

12. sportsnut101 - Feb 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Funny thing is he had great playoff run n helped win the title

What happens with the freak after this season his contract is up he was awful last season until he came out of pen. Was it dumb of him to turn down the 5 yrs deal now Very interesting plot

Maybe ziti pitches well again Neva know yes next yr buy him out n resign him for 2 mil league is about pitching

13. marklar1025 - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Zito = Alex Smith. Both had a long run of underachievement before having a solid year. I wish them well (unless the play the SF teams) but its time for them to go. No more extensions.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester