Feb 8, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
There were murmurings yesterday that maybe Brian Wilson could still make a return to the San Francisco Giants. The murmurings came after Brian Sabean said that the team had not closed the door on Wilson and suggested that the parameters of the discussions with Wilson’s camp was guaranteed money, which Sabean said Wilson wants, and an incentive-laden deal preferred by the Giants.
Only one problem with that. Via Andrew Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com:
“(Wilson) has instructed us not to talk terms or money until he’s 100 percent,” [Wilson's agent Dan] Lozano said. “We haven’t talked terms or money with the Giants or any other team. So I’m a little baffled by Brian Sabean’s comment that we’re out there looking for more money.”
Informed of Lozano’s reaction, Sabean said he stood by his comment.
But that standing-by-his-comment thing is a little cute: Sabean says that he “deduced” that Wilson wants more money because he has yet to accept an incentive-based offer from the Giants. Not that Wilson has actually demanded it.
Gotta side with Wilson’s agent here. I think whether a player is demanding something, which Sabean clearly made it out to be, as opposed to him simply not accepting a current offer, are different things. And one way of giving yourself cover for not signing a fan favorite is to say “well, he was too greedy, not our fault.”
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?