Feb 8, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
There were murmurings yesterday that maybe Brian Wilson could still make a return to the San Francisco Giants. The murmurings came after Brian Sabean said that the team had not closed the door on Wilson and suggested that the parameters of the discussions with Wilson’s camp was guaranteed money, which Sabean said Wilson wants, and an incentive-laden deal preferred by the Giants.
Only one problem with that. Via Andrew Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com:
“(Wilson) has instructed us not to talk terms or money until he’s 100 percent,” [Wilson's agent Dan] Lozano said. “We haven’t talked terms or money with the Giants or any other team. So I’m a little baffled by Brian Sabean’s comment that we’re out there looking for more money.”
Informed of Lozano’s reaction, Sabean said he stood by his comment.
But that standing-by-his-comment thing is a little cute: Sabean says that he “deduced” that Wilson wants more money because he has yet to accept an incentive-based offer from the Giants. Not that Wilson has actually demanded it.
Gotta side with Wilson’s agent here. I think whether a player is demanding something, which Sabean clearly made it out to be, as opposed to him simply not accepting a current offer, are different things. And one way of giving yourself cover for not signing a fan favorite is to say “well, he was too greedy, not our fault.”
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (248)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)