Feb 8, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
There were murmurings yesterday that maybe Brian Wilson could still make a return to the San Francisco Giants. The murmurings came after Brian Sabean said that the team had not closed the door on Wilson and suggested that the parameters of the discussions with Wilson’s camp was guaranteed money, which Sabean said Wilson wants, and an incentive-laden deal preferred by the Giants.
Only one problem with that. Via Andrew Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com:
“(Wilson) has instructed us not to talk terms or money until he’s 100 percent,” [Wilson’s agent Dan] Lozano said. “We haven’t talked terms or money with the Giants or any other team. So I’m a little baffled by Brian Sabean’s comment that we’re out there looking for more money.”
Informed of Lozano’s reaction, Sabean said he stood by his comment.
But that standing-by-his-comment thing is a little cute: Sabean says that he “deduced” that Wilson wants more money because he has yet to accept an incentive-based offer from the Giants. Not that Wilson has actually demanded it.
Gotta side with Wilson’s agent here. I think whether a player is demanding something, which Sabean clearly made it out to be, as opposed to him simply not accepting a current offer, are different things. And one way of giving yourself cover for not signing a fan favorite is to say “well, he was too greedy, not our fault.”
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)