Feb 8, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Released by the Mariners with one season remaining on a four-year, $36 million deal, Chone Figgins has latched on with the Marlins.
Figgins signed a minor-league deal that includes an invitation to spring training, where the 35-year-old will presumably compete for a bench spot after hitting .185 in 147 games over the past two seasons.
Figgins looked all sorts of washed up in Seattle, but he certainly picked the right place to perhaps hang on for one more season.
Either way, he’ll make $8 million this season from the old Mariners’ contract.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)