Feb 8, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Released by the Mariners with one season remaining on a four-year, $36 million deal, Chone Figgins has latched on with the Marlins.
Figgins signed a minor-league deal that includes an invitation to spring training, where the 35-year-old will presumably compete for a bench spot after hitting .185 in 147 games over the past two seasons.
Figgins looked all sorts of washed up in Seattle, but he certainly picked the right place to perhaps hang on for one more season.
Either way, he’ll make $8 million this season from the old Mariners’ contract.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)