Feb 8, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Released by the Mariners with one season remaining on a four-year, $36 million deal, Chone Figgins has latched on with the Marlins.
Figgins signed a minor-league deal that includes an invitation to spring training, where the 35-year-old will presumably compete for a bench spot after hitting .185 in 147 games over the past two seasons.
Figgins looked all sorts of washed up in Seattle, but he certainly picked the right place to perhaps hang on for one more season.
Either way, he’ll make $8 million this season from the old Mariners’ contract.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40