Feb 8, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Released by the Mariners with one season remaining on a four-year, $36 million deal, Chone Figgins has latched on with the Marlins.
Figgins signed a minor-league deal that includes an invitation to spring training, where the 35-year-old will presumably compete for a bench spot after hitting .185 in 147 games over the past two seasons.
Figgins looked all sorts of washed up in Seattle, but he certainly picked the right place to perhaps hang on for one more season.
Either way, he’ll make $8 million this season from the old Mariners’ contract.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)