Curt Schilling explains the whole PED thing, says he wasn’t trying to call attention to himself

Feb 8, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT

Curt Schilling AP

Curt Schilling spoke with WEEI’s Rob Bradford last night and gave a thorough explanation of  Someone on the Red Sox Said Schilling Should Take PEDs-gate.

Read the whole thing, but among the key takeaways:

• Schilling told Red Sox brass after it happened and MLB investigated, but admits he was less-than-forthcoming about it all to MLB because he didn’t want to get anyone in trouble; and
  • When Schilling brought it all up on Wednesday he wasn’t trying to get attention. Rather, he was trying to make a point about how people who take PEDs aren’t necessarily bad people making bad decisions.

Well, OK then. I think his behavior in 2008 — blow a whistle and then not cooperate with the authorities — is curious-at-best for someone who portrays himself as one of the more anti-PED guys. And if he didn’t think his comments on Wednesday were going to cause a stir he hasn’t been paying attention to anything he’s said or done for the past decade or so.  But it is Curt Schilling we’re talking about so anything is possible.

Beyond that: I still feel like there’s a general disconnect in the way all of this has gone down in the past 24 hours. Everyone’s first reaction — Jed Hoyer’s Larry Lucchino’s and Major League Baseball’s — was one of shock, surprise, and lets-get-to-the-bottom-of-this.  Curt Schilling’s first response on Twitter was that he wasn’t going to name names because that wouldn’t do any good.  Then, a few hours later, everyone agrees that, oh yeah, this was all handled back in 2008, nothing to see here.

Just … curious.

UPDATE:  Jed Hoyer, who was the Red Sox’ assistant general manager back in 2008, was asked about Curt Schilling’s comments yesterday afternoon. This is what he said:

“The first I ever heard of that was this morning when I saw it, so clearly, no, it didn’t ring true to me at all,” Hoyer said Thursday on The McNeil & Spiegel Show on 670 The Score. “I can tell you it would be preposterous that Theo or I would be involved in that. So I can comment for the two of us. I obviously wasn’t there. I don’t know the story he’s talking about so I can’t comment on the rest of it. I can tell you certainly it wasn’t Theo or me.”

If there was, as everyone is now saying, a Major League Baseball investigation of the employee telling Schilling to take PEDs, how on Earth does Jed Hoyer not know about it? How is yesterday morning the first time he has ever heard of it? Because Schilling told people about it. From the Bradford interview:

Schilling immediately informed both Francona and Epstein of the incident, telling them, “I had a very uncomfortable conversation.”

So Theo Epstein knew and an investigation happened, but his assistant was kept totally in the dark?  Really?

This stinks.

1. philliesblow - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM

What Schilling really needs are some RED’s – Reality Enhancing Drugs.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’m surprised Curt hasn’t blamed A-Rod and the Yankees too.

2. thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Ok then….I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m pretty much all set with the PED stories for 2013.

3. pftbillsfan - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:49 AM

How does this guy not get labeled as a scum bag for ruining all his employees lives. When he started that video game company which he then bankrupt. He literally took all the money that was left out and let hundreds of employees go broke and lose everything. The guy is a joke.

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM

He is labelled a scum bag.

4. indaburg - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM

As we say here in suburbia, snitches get stitches.

• historiophiliac - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It’s the “suburbia” that makes that. Ha!

5. hooks024 - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

why do you think he tries to portray himself as anti-PED? he was probably using them at sine point, and doesn’t want HOF voters leaving him out because of it. His man boobs support the theory that he was at some point.

• genericcommenter - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Nah. Man boobs= he’s just fat.

6. tjg25 - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM

What a douche bag. Just go away please.

7. pisano - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I rate this guy right alongside John Lackey, two total scumbags.

• sabatimus - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Actually, surprise to say, Schilling nowadays is officially a MUCH bigger scumbag than Lackey. And I don’t even like Lackey.

8. Charles Gates - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:26 AM

The Red Sox, whose lips are so loose they sink battleships, had a PED related controversy and someone actually had the wherewithal to not blab to every chowdah head in a fohty mile radius? That’s either unbelievable or completely rational depending on your confidence level of the organization.

• badintent - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

In other news…..Boby Valentine has started production on his new reality show…………….’..Who’s got chicken in the barn ?” Cameos by Pete Rose and girlfriend with special appeance by Carlton Fisk sober.

9. indyralph - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Have you ever been around a person who exaggerates and embellishes everything? And all of a sudden people around you are asking you questions about how seriously you were hurt? And how long were you in the hospital? And did it require surgery? And you don’t know what the hell they are talking about so you give a generic answer. Then you go back to the original source and you end up like “Wait. What? This is about that toe I stubbed last June?”. I bet that’s what the Red Sox feel like right now.

10. snowbirdgothic - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

By tomorrow this time, Schilling will be explaining that it was his Night Elf Mohawk who got asked to take PEDs.

11. mazblast - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Everything Curt Schilling says is designed to draw attention to himself. So is everything Theo Epstein says.

This doesn’t make them any less good in their respective days, just annoying and sometimes hard to believe.

12. pafinfan72 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

He has become a loud mouth nobody tattle tail….go away..go far away Curt

13. eshine76 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I thought that MLB said yesterday that they plan to investigate the matter, but apparently they already did back when it originally took place?? Perhaps MLB just wants to make sure that it is indeed the same incident, but I think they could have figured that out quickly.

Just waiting for Tito and Theo to weigh in with their remarks, which I doubt will back up Schilling’s claim. Someone probably offered him a 600 mg ibuprofen for the pain and suggested a cortisone shot.

14. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I said it yesterday, I will say it again. The whole thing is an attention grab. Pathetic

15. HitsDingers - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Schilling says he wasn’t trying to call attention to himself”

That would be a first…

16. psousa1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I think we are watching a guy who is starting to completely lose it……………………

17. shanabartels - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I like how Schilling tries to paint this like he didn’t want somebody to lose his job on account of him. Maybe he should pay his ex-employees for their final month of labor at the video game company (and make good on his offer of helping with relocation costs) if he’s so concerned with these things.

18. unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I would like to announce here and now that I am not a baseball blog commenting attention whore. Did you all get that? I’m not.

Stop looking at me. Stop it.

• historiophiliac - Feb 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I’m going to misquote you on that so you have to correct the record.

“Sources say Uncle Moses quit Twitter b/c Joba Chamberlain has more followers. Green himself has said he “lives for his fans,” and some baseball insiders (read: Louis CK) tooootally believe his upcoming space jump is a publicity stunt to promo his guest turn on Pete Rose’s reality show later this season….all of which is bad news for Yankees fans.”

19. electstat - Feb 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!

20. kingjoe1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Well of course not Curt, Narcissistic former stars never do anything to try to get back in the spotlight. That is why you made suer made another statement about your last statement. Please fade away Curt, just fade away. Oh and one more thing, you are horrible, just horrible as a baseball analyst

21. irishphilly87 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

All Curt ever wants is attention are you kidding me? Hell of a pitcher but lousy guy. As for the Red Sawwwx, Boston mine as well be called cheatville. 3 superbowls b4 Spygate 0 since. 2 world Series while theyre #3 and #4 hitter Manny and Papi were caught with PEDS and 0 since that report came out… 5 championships during chesting and 0 since? Isnt that strange? Spygate is for the most part speculation… But Manny and Papi definitely cheated ITS FACT. Boston fans would never tell you thst though in fact my comment will prolly get 100 dislikes by Baaaston people.

22. ezwriter69 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Wipe your neck, Shill, as usual, you’re so full of bleep it’s running out your ears…

23. 27xwschamps - Feb 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Go crawl back in ur hole and shut the f@$k up !!!!

Three legends off to Cooperstown