Feb 8, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Freese was arbitration eligible for the first time after hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS in 144 games last season, the first year in which he’s played more than 100 games. He requested $3.75 million and the Cardinals countered at $2.4 million.
No word on the exact money yet, but Goold says Freese will get more than $3 million for his age-30 season.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 13
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)