Feb 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Local TV news in small towns is great. Every story, no matter how unrelated to the area, is tied in locally somehow. “Tsunami in the Pacific! Stay tuned to Action4 to see what that means for you in Central Ohio!” It’s the very essence of provincialism to look at something that has no connection to you but to stretch for connections.
But it’s not limited to small town TV news. It happens in the biggest of cities too. The back page of today’s New York Post:
I haven’t read the Ken Davidoff article that crazy headline teases, but I’m going to assume a guy as smart as him doesn’t truly see the Hernandez story as bad news for the Yankees. How could it? Hernandez was not a free agent and there has never been a truly credible rumor that he was going to be traded there. If you asked Brian Cashman if the future of the Yankees hinged on them getting Felix Hernandez he’d look at you like you were an insane person.
Rather, this is pretty clearly an editorial diktat to make EVERYTHING about the Yankees if possible. Or if impossible. Either way. And it feeds into the entitlement a certain brand of Yankees fan gets which is about the most tiresome thing in the world.
Oh, and then this pops up:
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) February 8, 2013
Never change, New York Post. Never change.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)