Feb 8, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez was listed on Venezuela’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but recent events have caused him to change his mind about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. You can probably guess what impacted his decision.
This shouldn’t come as surprising news, as the Mariners and Hernandez are reportedly close to finalizing a record $175 million extension. Coming off four straight seasons with at least 232 innings pitched, the M’s would clearly prefer that Hernandez have his usual routine in spring training rather than ramp things up early in a hyper-competitive situation and risk potential injury. Given what they are investing in him from now until 2019, you can’t blame them for that.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)