Feb 8, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez was listed on Venezuela’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but recent events have caused him to change his mind about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. You can probably guess what impacted his decision.
This shouldn’t come as surprising news, as the Mariners and Hernandez are reportedly close to finalizing a record $175 million extension. Coming off four straight seasons with at least 232 innings pitched, the M’s would clearly prefer that Hernandez have his usual routine in spring training rather than ramp things up early in a hyper-competitive situation and risk potential injury. Given what they are investing in him from now until 2019, you can’t blame them for that.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)