Feb 8, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez was listed on Venezuela’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but recent events have caused him to change his mind about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. You can probably guess what impacted his decision.
This shouldn’t come as surprising news, as the Mariners and Hernandez are reportedly close to finalizing a record $175 million extension. Coming off four straight seasons with at least 232 innings pitched, the M’s would clearly prefer that Hernandez have his usual routine in spring training rather than ramp things up early in a hyper-competitive situation and risk potential injury. Given what they are investing in him from now until 2019, you can’t blame them for that.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)