Feb 8, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez was listed on Venezuela’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but recent events have caused him to change his mind about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. You can probably guess what impacted his decision.
This shouldn’t come as surprising news, as the Mariners and Hernandez are reportedly close to finalizing a record $175 million extension. Coming off four straight seasons with at least 232 innings pitched, the M’s would clearly prefer that Hernandez have his usual routine in spring training rather than ramp things up early in a hyper-competitive situation and risk potential injury. Given what they are investing in him from now until 2019, you can’t blame them for that.
- Rangers call up power-hitting top prospect Joey Gallo 6
- American League All-Star voting update: Royals players still rule the roost 35
- Jose Fernandez cleared for rehab assignment in comeback from Tommy John surgery 10
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 150
- Johnny Cueto to return to Reds’ rotation Tuesday 3
- Khris Davis has a torn meniscus in his right knee 8
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 3
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 12
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (87)