“I want his autograph. That’s all I want.”

Feb 8, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Scott Cacciola writes a fantastic and somewhat disturbing article in the New York Times about the people who camp out for Derek Jeter‘s autograph at the Yankees training facility down in Tampa.

Cacciola outlines the whole, elaborate setup outside the facility. About the Yankees employee who shouts at the autograph seekers regarding the exact way they are to lineup and behave if they expect to get a chance at a Jeter autograph.  And that chance, Cacciola reports: about 10% that he’ll even sign. And if he signs, only a fraction of the people waiting outside will get an autograph.

He also writes about some of the specific people who take a whole heck of a lot of effort to try to get that signature:

“I guess I’ll have to come back again tomorrow if he doesn’t sign today,” said Melissa Davis, a patient-support technician at a hospital in nearby Clearwater, whose prize for showing up at 4 a.m. was the sixth spot in line, a prime piece of real estate. She had not slept in two days, she said. Or was it three? She was, by her own admission, bordering on delirium.

“I’m basically on a mission at this point,” said Davis, who kept herself occupied by reading “Fifty Shades of Grey” on her Kindle. “I want his autograph. You can’t really talk to him because he’s not going to sit and talk to you. So I want his autograph. That’s all I want.”

I’ve written at length about my hangups with autographs. I don’t really understand the appeal. On a simple level, an autograph is proof that you were in the presence of someone famous. That you saw, in this instance, Derek Jeter, and he took a second to sign his name for you.  I’m not sure what that brief, exceedingly superficial interaction does for a person. You’ve seen Jeter on TV. If you’ve gone to Yankee Stadium you’ve seen him in person. If you’ve managed over the past 19 years to hit some Yankees event or another you may have very well seen him up close and in person. Maybe you even snapped his photograph.

But what does the autograph give you? Proof? What, no one will believe you when you say you saw him? A memory? Don’t you remember seeing him and don’t your memories of his thousands of games in pinstripes constitute much more meaningful and lasting memories?

I know I’m in the minority here, but I’ve never understood what autographs do for a person. I have a lot of autographs from when I was a kid. Hank Aaron is probably the biggest name. My favorite player from childhood, Alan Trammell, is the one I held most dear when I was younger.  But they don’t do much for me now.

They’re not even great reminders of when I got the actual autograph.  Both were at baseball card shows. Aaron’s was actually kind of depressing: he had all kinds of security around him and was at a high table so you couldn’t even get too close. You had to reach up high and place the card there, someone handed it to him, he signed, and they handed it back. You were instructed not to talk to him.  Trammell’s was not that crazy, but it was still kind of a cattle call.  I certainly get way more jazzed remembering Trammell play and reading about Aaron or watching whatever old footage of him I can find than I do remember “meeting” them.  The autographs are curios. Not much more.

I know those people who wait for Derek Jeter to sign his name feel very strongly about what they’re doing. And I presume they’ll value that autograph, if they’re lucky enough to get it, way more than I value the autographs I have.  I just don’t know why. It’s something I’ve never really been able to understand.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Derek Jeter surpasses Lou Gehrig for first place on Yankees’ all-time doubles list

Jul 22, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter made a little more history on Tuesday night against the Rangers …

2. Marlins are not shopping Casey McGehee, might sign him to multi-year contract extension

Jul 22, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT

casey mcgehee marlins getty Getty Images

Casey McGehee entered play on Tuesday evening with a batting average (.322) that is 54 points above his career mean (.268) and an RBI total (56) that ranks ninth in the National League. The 31-year-old third baseman fits the mold of a sell-high candidate. But it doesn’t sound like he’s going to be moved.

3. Video: Leonys Martin robs Brian McCann with juggling grab

Jul 22, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT

leonys martin getty Getty Images

Watch as Rangers outfielder Leonys Martin leaps above the right-center field wall at Yankee Stadium to rob Brian McCann of a home run in the bottom of the second inning Tuesday night …

4. Taijuan Walker returning to Mariners’ rotation Wednesday

Jul 22, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT

taijuan walker getty Getty Images

Mariners right-hander Taijuan Walker will be called back up from Triple-A Tacoma to start Wednesday night against the Mets at Seattle’s Safeco Field.

5. Why aren’t the Cardinals playing Oscar Taveras?

Jul 22, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT

oscar taveras getty Getty Images

Oscar Taveras has started just two of the Cardinals’ last seven games and the left-handed-hitting outfield prospect is not in St. Louis’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against Rays right-hander Jake Odorizzi. Getting the nod instead is the right-handed-hitting Allen Craig. What’s the deal?

6. Kevin Siegrist expected to return Wednesday

Jul 22, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT

kevin siegrist getty Getty Images

According to Brian Stull of CBS Sports 920, left-handed reliever Kevin Siegrist joined back up with the Cardinals on Tuesday in St. Louis and is expected to be activated from the disabled list on Wednesday.

7. Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list

Jul 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Troy Tulowitzki Troy Tulowitzki

Troy Tulowitzki exited Saturday’s game with what the Rockies called a “cramp” in his quadriceps, but now the star shortstop is out of the lineup tonight for the third consecutive game and it’s clear the injury is more serious.

8. Josh Reddick rejoins A’s after latest knee injury

Jul 22, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT

josh reddick getty Getty Images

A’s outfielder Josh Reddick is off the disabled list after missing all but one week of the past two months with knee problems.

9. Kirk Gibson gives a jerky kind of “no-comment” on the Brandon McCarthy cutter controversy

Jul 22, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT

Kirk Gibson AP

Apparently, one does not ask Kirk Gibson about the decisions he and his coaching staff make about on-the-field decisions.

10. Geovany Soto lasted three games before going back on the disabled list

Jul 22, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

Geovany Soto AP AP

At this point the Rangers’ injury situation is absurd.

11. Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement

Jul 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Rob Manfred

After a bit of a dance, it seems like the early favorite to take over for Bud Selig is the favorite when it really matters.

12. Cubs designate Darwin Barney for assignment, activate Emilio Bonifacio from disabled list

Jul 22, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Darwin Barney Getty Getty Images

Darwin Barney logged 500-plus plate appearances for the Cubs each season from 2011-2013 and was the Opening Day second baseman this year, but today he was designated for assignment to make roster room for Emilio Bonifacio’s return from the disabled list.

13. Justin Masterson wants to rejoin the Indians, but he’ll make at least one more rehab start

Jul 22, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

masterson getty Getty Images

Justin Masterson tossed five innings in a minor-league rehab start Sunday, but rather than welcoming him back from the disabled list the Indians will have the right-hander make another rehab start.

14. Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres

Jul 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Chase Headley Chase Headley

Two seasons ago Headley smacked 31 homers, led the league in RBIs, and finished fifth in the MVP balloting, but his production plummeted last season and this year he’s been mostly injured and ineffective.

15. Michael Cuddyer still 3-4 weeks from returning to Rockies

Jul 22, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT

cuddyer getty Getty Images

Cuddyer, who won the batting title last season by hitting .331 with a .919 OPS in 130 games, hit .317 with five homers and an .866 OPS in 31 games before the injury this year.

16. Changes to official scorers rulings have tripled in recent years

Jul 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Four Getty Images

Murray Chass — yes, Murray Chass — has an excellent article about this today.

17. No one is sure when Matt Cain will pitch for the Giants again

Jul 22, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT

Matt Cain AP

After letting Matt Cain pitch (poorly) through a “cranky” elbow since spring training the Giants finally shut him down yesterday, placing him on the disabled list with elbow inflammation.

18. The guy with the curly-W beard is . . . awesome?

Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Nationals cap logo

That’s some real Nattitude right there.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto