Ike Davis opens up about his valley fever, or whatever it was, last year

Feb 8, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

Ike Davis

Last year Ike Davis was reported to have valley fever, a fungal infection which sapped his strength and led to him having a horrific start to the season. Of course he downplayed it all. His quote from last March:

“It’s been the same,” said Davis. “Seriously. I feel great. And I don’t have any symptoms of it. I’m not coughing. I’m not throwing up blood. I’m not doing anything. It’s not even hard to breathe. The doctor said I could play, and just don’t get really, really fatigued. So that’s what we’re doing. And if I get really tired, I kind of just step to the side and take a break … I don’t think I have an extreme case.”

Flash forward to today and he’s telling a different story. From Adam Rubin, who Davis now tells he was exhausted all the time last spring:

“I had to limit a lot of things last year as far as workload,” Davis said. “I didn’t have a beer all of spring training last year. I went home and laid on the couch. And I usually fish for another six hours every day [after Mets workouts] … I didn’t say anything to anybody, besides maybe the trainers.”

Guess that teaches us not to take players’ claims about their health at face value.

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Valley fever is no joke – just ask Conor Jackson.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Not much is known about how valley fever is spread, but one look at Ike Davis and I’m convinced that it must be airborne.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

or at least “grease captured.”

2. xpensivewinos - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

So, we’re assuming he’s all better now?

3. thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Another non-news story from Craig about the Mets. Or doesn’t everyone want to learn every single bit of minutiae about the Mets 40-man roster?

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Baseball stories are slim pickings right now – he’s going to end up putting in a few extra stories from the city with 12 newspapers.

Hey badguys – there’s this thing above an article – it’s called a headline. Often it gives important clues as to the content which is to follow. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to click on it, you certainly don’t have to read it, and then of course you most definitely don’t need to then comment on it. Try harder not to be such a doorknob.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I clicked on the title because I thought it was something worthwhile. Just like your post, it wasn’t.

• dondada10 - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Badguys, this is great news to hear. If Ike can produce a full season anything like what he did in the second half, he’ll be a force in the middle of the line-up.

• darthicarus - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I would assume this would be “non-news” if Davis had said, “yeah I feel as good as I did last year.” But adding the information that he in fact did not actually feel well last year would indicate that there is an update to the story…which could possibly be construed by some as “news”. This little tidbit of data might also allow Mets fans to be aware of why Davis struggled last year.

In official “non-news” the Mets are still in New York, Mets is a shortened version from the former Metropolitans, and Dwight Gooden liked cocaine.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

You make fair points, but most Mets fans know why Ike stuggled last year. But after considering the post, I guess the fact he hedged on the scope of the condition is worth a post. I am being too harsh in mid-February I guess.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Dude…it’s Friday. Turn that frown upside down.

It is a baseball article. That’s a plus in my book.
      More pluses?
      It doesn’t include a Yankee’s, PED, Jeffrey Loria or Arod reference.

Have a drink my Man! Get the weekend started. You seem a little wound up.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

LOL…yeah, my bad. That was too harsh.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

first badguys post = pre-happy hour, this one = post-happy hour. That’s science.

4. jarathen - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I assumed his illness was an uncanny resemblance to Darin Erstad.

5. chill1184 - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM

All I hope from Davis is that his 2013 season is more like the second half of 2012, not the first half.

6. badintent - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Watch out for methane sickness with all the new tens of thousand of fracking wells and pressure silosThis is no joke.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate