Feb 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
This is the first offseason I remember when no one has kicked the tires on Mark Prior, hoping to see if he still has a bit of what he had ten years ago.
But Prior is still trying. And Doug Miller of MLB.com caught up with him recently to see what’s going down:
Nine years. It’s seemed like a long time, having not pitched in the big leagues since 2006 because of one injury or the next one or the bunch after that. It’s seemed like a short time, watching his kids grow up so fast, watching as he and his wife evolve as parents and adults now in their 30s, settling into much quieter days in a world where expectations have new meaning. It’s no longer the All-Star Game or the World Series or the Hall of Fame here on top of this hill. It’s waking up every morning, really early, and trying to do the right things. Trying to get back to the Majors.
It’s a long story chronicling Prior’s long journey back and what his life has been like since way, way back in 2003 when everyone thought he’d be the next big thing.
It’s hard to believe he’s still only 32. It’s harder to believe that he’ll ever pitch in the bigs again. But he’s trying.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 10
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires