Feb 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
This is the first offseason I remember when no one has kicked the tires on Mark Prior, hoping to see if he still has a bit of what he had ten years ago.
But Prior is still trying. And Doug Miller of MLB.com caught up with him recently to see what’s going down:
Nine years. It’s seemed like a long time, having not pitched in the big leagues since 2006 because of one injury or the next one or the bunch after that. It’s seemed like a short time, watching his kids grow up so fast, watching as he and his wife evolve as parents and adults now in their 30s, settling into much quieter days in a world where expectations have new meaning. It’s no longer the All-Star Game or the World Series or the Hall of Fame here on top of this hill. It’s waking up every morning, really early, and trying to do the right things. Trying to get back to the Majors.
It’s a long story chronicling Prior’s long journey back and what his life has been like since way, way back in 2003 when everyone thought he’d be the next big thing.
It’s hard to believe he’s still only 32. It’s harder to believe that he’ll ever pitch in the bigs again. But he’s trying.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)