Feb 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
This is the first offseason I remember when no one has kicked the tires on Mark Prior, hoping to see if he still has a bit of what he had ten years ago.
But Prior is still trying. And Doug Miller of MLB.com caught up with him recently to see what’s going down:
Nine years. It’s seemed like a long time, having not pitched in the big leagues since 2006 because of one injury or the next one or the bunch after that. It’s seemed like a short time, watching his kids grow up so fast, watching as he and his wife evolve as parents and adults now in their 30s, settling into much quieter days in a world where expectations have new meaning. It’s no longer the All-Star Game or the World Series or the Hall of Fame here on top of this hill. It’s waking up every morning, really early, and trying to do the right things. Trying to get back to the Majors.
It’s a long story chronicling Prior’s long journey back and what his life has been like since way, way back in 2003 when everyone thought he’d be the next big thing.
It’s hard to believe he’s still only 32. It’s harder to believe that he’ll ever pitch in the bigs again. But he’s trying.
May 2, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
Are those “Keys to the Game” segments getting stale? FOX Sports San Diego put a fresh spin on it.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
More arm issues for Braves lefty Mike Minor.
May 2, 2015, 10:34 PM EDT
Torii Hunter said something dumb again.
May 2, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
The Astros are good again!
May 2, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz won’t stop hitting home runs.
May 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
A stroke of luck bailed the Giants out in the ninth inning when their bullpen went into meltdown mode.
May 2, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
One of the best pitchers in baseball history tells us how he’d approach the best player of this generation.
May 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
The Cubs had an unfortunate series of events lead to a little league home run for Brewers outfielder Logan Schafer.
May 2, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
Catcher Ryan Hanigan figures to be out until the All-Star break, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.
May 2, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Billingsley hasn’t pitched in the majors in over two years.
May 2, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Ross went just 2-for-22 (.091) with three RBI over nine games during his brief stint with Oakland.
May 2, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
Albert Pujols missed two days after leaving Wednesday’s game due to left hamstring tightness, but he’s back in the starting lineup today against the Giants. While he’ll return to his standard No. 3 spot, Angels manager Mike Scioscia has made some changes with his lineup.
May 2, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman acknowledged Saturday that the team won’t pay a $6 million marketing bonus to Alex Rodriguez for tying Willie Mays with 660 career home runs.
May 2, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Yelich has been sidelined since April 19 with a bulging disk in his lower back.
May 2, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
The Rays are hoping that Moore will be ready to return around the middle of June.
May 2, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
Gomez has been out since April 15 due to a strained right hamstring.
May 2, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
Wilpon denies the claim that he urged Martinez to pitch hurt in 2005.
May 2, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
Puig is currently sidelined with a strained left hamstring, but he’s nearing his return to the Dodgers.
May 2, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT
Willie Mays issued a statement to congratulate Alex Rodriguez for tying him on the all-time home run list.
May 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Another day, another tape-measure blast for Nelson Cruz.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)