Feb 8, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
The Orioles and right-hander Jason Hammel have agreed on a one-year, $6.75 million deal to avoid arbitration, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The deal includes $300,000 in possible incentives.
Hammel requested $8.25 million and was offered $5.7 million by the Orioles when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled a little under the midpoint of $6.975 million, but he could make out ahead if he reaches the incentives. Either way, it’s a nice raise for the 30-year-old, who earned $4.75 million last season while posting a solid 3.43 ERA and 113/43 K/BB ratio over 118 innings. This was his final go-around in arbitration, so he is due to hit free agency next winter.
Now that the Orioles have deals in place with Hammel and Jim Johnson, that leaves reliever Darren O’Day as the lone member of the Orioles at risk of going to an arbitration hearing. It probably won’t be necessary, though, as MASN’s Roch Kubatko reported earlier tonight that it looks like something will get done.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)