Lance Lynn is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 8, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT

Lance Lynn Reuters

Add another name to the list, from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

Cardinals righthander Lance Lynn, who was challenged and helped by the club to improve his fitness level during the offseason, arrived at the team’s complex Friday with a tightened haircut, no beard, and a significantly slimmed-down frame. Teammates joked they didn’t recognize him. …

Lynn declined to go into the exact details of his lean look, suggesting first that he dropped about 20 pounds from the weight he came to spring training in a year ago. He gained more weight during the season, and that did contribute to his struggles in August and inconsistency later.

Goold actually mentions BSOHL in the article, noting: “Lynn knows how that description is often met with a smirk. So, he didn’t say it.”

Self-awareness really ruins all the fun.

1. APBA Guy - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hope he didn’t lose too much weight. That can negatively impact endurance late in the season.

2. stephenolszewski - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Lance Lynn is underrated… And in the best shape of his life apparently

• cardsfanindelaware - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, I would call 18-7, 176 IP / 180 K underrated as well…

/facepalm

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Considering that fact that almost no one would guess that he had the second best K rate among NL starter last year….I bet he is underrated.

3. mojosmagic - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Kiss of death comment.

4. unclemosesgreen - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

He lost at least 5 lbs. worth of mullet.

• tycobb420 - Feb 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Uncle, I gave you a thumbs up, but I’m going to quibble a little with the mullet label. I’m not sure Lynn sported an outright mullet last season. I haven’t seen a clear picture of a hat-less Lynn to make a definitive assessment, but I suspect his bangs and top are a little long to warrant the label. I’m thinking he may just be stylishly unkempt. If you have evidence to the contrary, I welcome it.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

You may be correct – though it’s definitely a party in the back, it’s tough to say for sure whether it was business in the front.

5. forsch31 - Feb 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Goold posted a picture of New Lynn. It honestly doesn’t look like the same guy.

• forsch31 - Feb 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

This is the one I’m talking about: http://twitpic.com/c1vx40

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Wow Bob! It does look like a completely different person.
        Only the hair color appears to be the same.

6. clydeserra - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Are baseball players becoming sentient beings?

7. edmata - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Welcome to the club buddy.

All the trade deadline news to know