Feb 8, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners have signed right-hander Jon Garland to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. This confirms a report by ESPN’s Jason Churchill.
Garland is set to take a physical next week at the team’s complex in Peoria, Arizona. That’s a formality most of the time, but it’s worth mentioning in his case, as the Indians canceled a minor league deal with Garland last spring after he didn’t take his physical. The 33-year-old right-hander didn’t end up pitching at all last year.
Garland had a 4.33 ERA over nine starts with the Dodgers in 2011 prior to undergoing rotator cuff surgery. He’s probably a long shot candidate to contribute with the Mariners this season, but you can’t go wrong on a minor league deal.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)