Mariners sign right-hander Jon Garland to a minor league contract

Feb 8, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v New York Mets Getty Images

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners have signed right-hander Jon Garland to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. This confirms a report by ESPN’s Jason Churchill.

Garland is set to take a physical next week at the team’s complex in Peoria, Arizona. That’s a formality most of the time, but it’s worth mentioning in his case, as the Indians canceled a minor league deal with Garland last spring after he didn’t take his physical. The 33-year-old right-hander didn’t end up pitching at all last year.

Garland had a 4.33 ERA over nine starts with the Dodgers in 2011 prior to undergoing rotator cuff surgery. He’s probably a long shot candidate to contribute with the Mariners this season, but you can’t go wrong on a minor league deal.

1. jimbroney - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Can’t go wrong with a double cheese from Hardee’s either….mmmmmmm

2. fearthehoody - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Cy Young 2013??

3. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

woah I swear I thought I saw him pitch all last year lol used to love this guy…hope he makes the cut

• bsplaincs - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Ya no that was not garland. You must have seen josh Beckett pitch he has a 4.30 era. Just saying.. Good Luck

4. socalseahawker - Feb 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I’ve always been a fan of Garland. Glad to see him in a M’s uni. I hope he’s healthy and can get his career back on track.

• slickdemetrius - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Same here. Good luck to you Mr.Garland!

5. cackalackyank - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Seems to me I recall that along with Buerhle this guy was the key to the 2005 White Sox championship team. I knew he had at least one injury, but what happened to him? He never seemed to be able to get a real serious contract. Is he not a good clubhouse guy, or have there been recurring injuries, not just the rotator cuff in ’11?

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1941)