Mike Lupica thinks Major League Baseball has the power to convene grand juries

Feb 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT

Lupica

I somehow missed Mike Lupica’s column about Ryan Braun from yesterday. Kind of sad I’m only seeing it now, because it contains some amazingly useful information!  For example, did you know that anyone — even private businesses — can convene grand juries? Even when there is no criminal investigation, no arrest, no suspects or anything?

There is only one way for Major League Baseball and for the rest of us to get the answers we need on Bosch the “biochemist” and Braun and A-Rod and all the other misunderstood ballplayers who have made the PED version of the Dean’s List, known as Bosch’s List: Get everybody in front of a grand jury and make them tell their stories under oath, not to their PR men.

Make them all explain why they were associating with a PED pusher like Anthony Bosch in the first place.

This is a fabulous opportunity! If anyone can convene a grand jury I can finally indict that no good neighbor of mine who lets his dog poop in my yard! The possibilities are endless.

But it’s not just the grand jury stuff. Lupica offers all kinds of opinions about the legal system in this column. He knows how lawyers should or should not choose their consultants and experts as well as how much they cost. He’s well-versed in arbitration process and procedure. Really, he knows it all!

1. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

This guy is a moron.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

NY Daily News + Mike Lupica = What’s wrong with American Journalism

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Seeing oneself in print all the time can really inflate one’s ego. Trust me on this, peasants.

3. sonoco - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Not only is he an accomplished columnist, but he’s an aspiring attorney. Must have slept at a Holiday Inn last night!

4. zzalapski - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was just messing with Craig. No one is this obtuse…right?

• bigharold - Feb 9, 2013 at 6:00 AM

” No one is this obtuse…”

Apparently you have read much of Lupica. Don’t, .. it lowers your IQ.

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

“one month in the hole for you and no library books
        And shine my shoes”

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Do I get to take my little hammer with me?

5. tony34343434 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

What an arrogant ass this guy is. On his show he says he is one of the cool kids, wow what a school that must have been!!

He really has the short man’s disease, or compensating for something SMALL!!!

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM

He, Costas and Stern= joe larry and moe. I thrown in Stalin for short men but at least Stalin beat another short prick, Hitler

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Speeeeeeeeeeelling police. throw, not thrown

6. ningenito78 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Everytime Lupica talks all I hear is a farting noise.

• raysfan1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Then the ref said “pthbththth,” then my dad said “pthbththth”…

• raysfan1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Guess somebody didn’t get the “Kicking and Screaming” reference…or just doesn’t like Will Farrell, eh?

7. Kevin Gillman - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The sad thing is he actually believes it AND he is on ESPN every Sunday morning, you know putting his thoughts on national TV. Sad how they put anyone on TV.

• Glenn - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

When Dick Schaap was alive, I watched that show. You can forgive a lot of things with Schaap around. After he died, I couldn’t take any more of Lupica and Mitch Albom. The last straw was when Albom did some commentary as if it was sports related about an actor that shamelessly turned into a promo for some dreck he wrote that was turned into a TV movie. It was always funny when these clowns and their colleagues would try to come off as experts when discussing your team. You realized that they didn’t know crap and you couldn’t trust them talking about teams or issues that you weren’t expert about.

• Kevin Gillman - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Dick Schaap, now there is a guy I miss. He represented respect to any sports writer. I never liked Mike, even when he did those awful commentaries on ESPN. Like you said, he tried to tell us what to think.

8. chill1184 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

So. Much. Fail.

9. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Jason Whitlock did a Deadspin chat today and when asked the question “who’s the worst person you’ve had to deal with in the media?” His answer was Lupica. Said he’s not a good person. Now Whitlock is polarizing in his own right but this is still funny.

• abudanroman - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I know many wont believe, but my mother works with his brother (John Lupica). I went to a function with her once, where I would meet her boss, and she gave me one warning “don’t mention his brother, whatever you do, don’t mention his brother”.

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM

We believe, trust me on that one. Maybe anyone else no, but on Loopy Lupica, we do

10. tpxdmd - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Mr. Lippman: So have you ever done this kind of work before?
    George: Well you know book reports, that kind of thing.
    Mr. Lippman: What do you read?
    George: I like Mike Lupica.
    Mr. Lippman: Mike Lupica?.
    George: He’s a sports writer for the Daily News, I find him very insightful.

11. sfm073 - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Maybe he was referring to congress to get involved?

12. bigjimatch - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Lupica’s and idiot, but Craig’s blind allegiance toward Braun is just as bad. An arbitrator through out Brain’s positive test (no finding that Brain’s test was not accurate) and everyone is supposed to treat it like an absolute vindication.

• gerryb323 - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

There was also no finding that the test was accurate. There is a chain of evidence for a reason.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Braun was guilty as hell. Can people please stop playing dumb and pretending he was clean. Jesus…that is sickening.

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Gee, I don’t know. Could people stop being complete fucking idiots and pretending to know things they can’t possibly know?

• gerryb323 - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I’m not saying he’s clean. I’m not saying he’s dirty. We cannot know for sure either way, so I’m not going to assume anything.

• Old Gator - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Craig has never exhibited anything remotely resembling “blind allegiance” to Braun. All he has done is reminded us, over and over again – owing to the collective density often exhibited here – that by the rules of the system instituted by Major League Baseball, Braun could not validly be held accountable because those rules were not followed properly. Craig’s a big believer in the legal construct of “presumption of innocence until proven guilty.”

That’s all.

But from the point of view of our individual security within a social structure – be it the criminal justice system per se or the running parody of it that’s MLB drug policy, that’s also everything.

Go ahead, any of you who want to cling to this fantasy that Craig believes Braun did not take anything, and find me the post wherein he specifically stated that belief. Good hunting, because there isn’t any.

• byjiminy - Feb 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM

If that were really all, that would be fine. Of course the rules need to be followed before you suspend someone.

But that’s not all he says. He also insults anyone who believes Braun is guilty, calling them zealots with no respect for the concept of due process.

I happen to believe that the contents of a sealed vial do not spontaneously generate drugs when left unattended for a day. All the reports said the double seal was not broken.

I also have respect for due process and think if the rules were not followed he should not be punished.

So I think he’s guilty, but should be treated as if he is innocent by MLB.

I don’t think that makes me a zealot with no respect for due process, and I think Craig should stop insulting the entire sane world.

• byjiminy - Feb 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM

p.s. I agree with everything Craig says about Mike Lupica though! That man is a screaming idiot. He just blatantly makes stuff up: “it sounds like Bosch gave them about as much good consulting as Braun and his fancy lawyers and his CAA agents could have gotten on Ask.com.” It does? Based on what?

In fact I agree with most everything Craig says, including about the Braun case. I just also think that, even thought we should never have even heard about it, Braun is obviously a PED user, and the court of public opinion does not have to follow the same rules as a court of law.

• bigharold - Feb 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

” Craig’s a big believer in the legal construct of “presumption of innocence until proven guilty.”

Well that’s just crazy talk. We here at HBT believe in getting the pitchforks and touches first and asking questions later if at all.

• thepoolshark - Feb 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

“Lupica’s ‘and’ idiot? TALK ABOUT THE POT AND KETTLE…..

13. lessick - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Lupica wrote, “You have to wonder why his client was willing to pay $30,000 for a negligible consultation with the likes of Anthony Bosch.”

Perhaps Lupica should have done some math. I’d say $30,000 is a small price to pay to help avoid a 50-game suspension, which would have cost Braun a whole lot more than that.

• raysfan1 - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not to mention that the annotation is not what Braun/his attorneys agreed to pay, only what Bosch wrote that he was owed

14. millmannj - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’ll listen to Lupica’s opinion regarding PED’s the second he returns the money he made writing “Summer of ’98.”

15. crankyfrankie - Feb 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM

He is beyond moron on the scale of brilliant to blithering idiot.

16. bigtrav425 - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Lupica is as big a douchebag as Costas..they both can die and rot in hell

• thebadguyswon - Feb 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Happy Valentine’s Day to you too.

• Glenn - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

You are insulting both Costas and bags used for douching!

• noodles73 - Feb 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Costas without question, a huuuuuuuuuge douche bag.Even dating back to his days as a lackey with Bryant Gumbel during the NFL on NBC days.

17. Francisco (FC) - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

So THAT’S why you’re not sympathetic to poor poor Mark’s pitbull situation. Tsk, tsk.

18. juliath83 - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Typical liberal blowhard

• Old Gator - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Lupica a liberal? Typical right wing ignoramus.

• dan1111 - Feb 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Well, I’ll be the first to admit that there are plenty of idiots on both sides, but according to Wikipedia he is one of yours: “He recently began writing a regular political column entitled ‘Mondays with Mike,’ which is strongly liberal in orientation.”

• 18thstreet - Feb 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Allow me to speak for liberal blowhards everywhere.

We liberals are soft on crime. We blame society for the problems of individuals. The answer is a bigger government, and a more permissive one. Also, more taxes and letting the unions run everything.

Liberal blowhards support allowing Ryan Braun to get away with whatever he wants, not convening a grand jury, which will only unfairly blame the victim: a hardworking union member who, I might add, as Jewish American, has been discriminated against in ways you will never understand.

19. bigjimatch - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Regardless of whatever he believes, Craig goes out of his way to play the role of Braun’s PR man anytime anyone shows even the slightest hint of anti-Braun sentiment, parroting and naseum Braun’s “successful appeal.” Just because Clemens was acquitted of perjury doesn’t mean he was vindicated, just because Bonds didn’t go prison doesn’t mean they did not do steroids, and just because fed ex wasn’t opened doesn’t mean he was clean. Frankly, I don’t think its a big deal that he did them, but that fact that he won’t admit it is what irks me.

20. jm91rs - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I can’t wait for real baseball to start. 50% of your articles have become about bashing other writers’ opinions on steroids. I mean obviously your opinion is right and the only one in the world that actually matters, but I miss articles about games and players.

21. senatorsguy - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Not only should baseball convene a grand jury, it needs to institute the death penalty. Maybe by hanging during 7th inning stretch.

22. abaird2012 - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

While that column sounds like pure unadulterated BS, can anybody who co-authored a book with William (“The Princess Bride”) Goldman be ALL bad?

23. tonyc920 - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

As much as I think LUPICA is a BLOWHARD, I don’t disagree with his statement. These players are to be accountable for the manner in which they act, and take care of their bodies.

If they play against the rules there should be a penalty, and when you have this kind of money at stake, they most likely will lie about it. Put them under oath and now a lie is a criminal act. You think twice about lieing.

Look at it this way, take A-Rod for instance making 30 million/yr. If he’s cheating, @ $185,000 per gamecheck, in my mind it’s FRAUD, no different than Bernie Madoff. A thief.

24. juliath83 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Is it just me or does Lupica look like Squints from The Sandlot all grown up?

Ace-killer Giants do it again