Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Liriano will only be guaranteed $1 million. He could make an additional $11.75 million if he reaches certain bonuses and has his option vest for 2014. That was quite a costly fall.
10:48 PM: The Pirates just officially announced the deal. Liriano will get a one-year contract with a vesting option for 2014, so it appears he will have to prove his health this season in order to receive the money he was originally in line to get prior to breaking his arm.
2:48 PM: Francisco Liriano agreed to a two-year, $12.75 million deal with the Pirates back mid-December, but the signing was put on hold and potentially put in jeopardy when Liriano broke his non-throwing arm in a bathroom fall.
There was talk of the Pirates re-working some of the language in the contract and even some speculation that they might back out of the deal completely, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides have finalized things six weeks later.
Liriano has had an ERA above 5.00 in back-to-back seasons and infuriated the Twins and White Sox with his inability to throw strikes, but he’s also still just 29 years old with good fastball velocity, a devastating slider, and 480 strikeouts in 483 innings since 2010.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)