Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Liriano will only be guaranteed $1 million. He could make an additional $11.75 million if he reaches certain bonuses and has his option vest for 2014. That was quite a costly fall.
10:48 PM: The Pirates just officially announced the deal. Liriano will get a one-year contract with a vesting option for 2014, so it appears he will have to prove his health this season in order to receive the money he was originally in line to get prior to breaking his arm.
2:48 PM: Francisco Liriano agreed to a two-year, $12.75 million deal with the Pirates back mid-December, but the signing was put on hold and potentially put in jeopardy when Liriano broke his non-throwing arm in a bathroom fall.
There was talk of the Pirates re-working some of the language in the contract and even some speculation that they might back out of the deal completely, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides have finalized things six weeks later.
Liriano has had an ERA above 5.00 in back-to-back seasons and infuriated the Twins and White Sox with his inability to throw strikes, but he’s also still just 29 years old with good fastball velocity, a devastating slider, and 480 strikeouts in 483 innings since 2010.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)