Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Tom Singer of MLB.com, Liriano will only be guaranteed $1 million. He could make an additional $11.75 million if he reaches certain bonuses and has his option vest for 2014. That was quite a costly fall.
10:48 PM: The Pirates just officially announced the deal. Liriano will get a one-year contract with a vesting option for 2014, so it appears he will have to prove his health this season in order to receive the money he was originally in line to get prior to breaking his arm.
2:48 PM: Francisco Liriano agreed to a two-year, $12.75 million deal with the Pirates back mid-December, but the signing was put on hold and potentially put in jeopardy when Liriano broke his non-throwing arm in a bathroom fall.
There was talk of the Pirates re-working some of the language in the contract and even some speculation that they might back out of the deal completely, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides have finalized things six weeks later.
Liriano has had an ERA above 5.00 in back-to-back seasons and infuriated the Twins and White Sox with his inability to throw strikes, but he’s also still just 29 years old with good fastball velocity, a devastating slider, and 480 strikeouts in 483 innings since 2010.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)