Feb 8, 2013, 8:27 AM EDT
I tend to put little stock in “Player X is feeling great, killing balls in the batting cage and ready to kick butt this year!” stories. Everyone is optimistic in spring training.
But maybe I should make an exception for those stories involving the Detroit Tigers. Last year that was the buzz about Miguel Cabrera. He lost weight, got in shape, was dedicated and was killing balls in Lakeland. All he did was go on and win the Triple Crown and the MVP. Si or no, motherf****r?
“Victor looks unbelievable,” McClendon said about Martinez, the Tigers’ designated hitter who missed all of last year because of left knee surgery. “I am really, really impressed with what I’ve seen.
“He’s in great shape, and he’s swinging the bat extremely well. A lot of zip, a lot of pop, it doesn’t look like he’s lost anything.”
Losing Delmon Young and adding Victor Martinez is gonna be a good, good thing for Detroit.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 36
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)