Feb 8, 2013, 8:27 AM EDT
I tend to put little stock in “Player X is feeling great, killing balls in the batting cage and ready to kick butt this year!” stories. Everyone is optimistic in spring training.
But maybe I should make an exception for those stories involving the Detroit Tigers. Last year that was the buzz about Miguel Cabrera. He lost weight, got in shape, was dedicated and was killing balls in Lakeland. All he did was go on and win the Triple Crown and the MVP. Si or no, motherf****r?
“Victor looks unbelievable,” McClendon said about Martinez, the Tigers’ designated hitter who missed all of last year because of left knee surgery. “I am really, really impressed with what I’ve seen.
“He’s in great shape, and he’s swinging the bat extremely well. A lot of zip, a lot of pop, it doesn’t look like he’s lost anything.”
Losing Delmon Young and adding Victor Martinez is gonna be a good, good thing for Detroit.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?