Feb 8, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Cano is entering the final season of a deal signed in February of 2008 and will make $15 million before hitting the open market as a free agent.
Cano is a Scott Boras client and the agent typically encourages players to avoid extensions once they near free agency, but then again the Yankees rarely let an in-his-prime star leave. That could mean simply out-bidding everyone else for Cano as a free agent, of course.
Adding to the intrigue is that Cano has a chance to become the highest-paid second baseman of all time. In fact, he almost surely will. Right now Ian Kinsler has the highest average annual salary at $15 million and no second baseman has ever gotten $100 million. That says something about how second basemen tend to age and about how teams tend to value infielders who lack the range/arm to play shortstop or the arm to play third base, but regardless of all that Cano will top $100 million with ease.
May 27, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Verlander will start Sunday at Triple-A.
May 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Several reports last week had the Angels in the market for outfield help.
May 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“A multimedia show featuring a virtual Selig.” Yes, that’s actually a thing.
May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
He’s about 11 months removed from Tommy John surgery.
May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Coke signed a one-year, $2.25 million deal with the Cubs this offseason.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
And you think my A-Rod trolling kung-fu is the best. Heck, I’m an amateur.
May 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Adams hurt his quadriceps while running out a double.
May 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He has three homers and is hitting .283/.353/.500 in 14 Triple-A games. At the age of 20.
May 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Last month the Rays released right-hander Grant Balfour from his $7 million big-league contract and then re-signed him to a minor-league deal.
May 27, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
It smacked off the new video board at Wrigley Field, depriving the folks on Waveland Avenue of a home run ball.
May 27, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
Four-year-old Adriana Aviles was diagnosed with leukemia.
May 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
No real clear winner, no real clear loser. Indeed, in this trade, that’s almost beside the point.
May 27, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Major League Baseball will likely fine Cash for his postgame comments. Because, while umpires don’t have much apparent accountability for their actions, managers do.
May 27, 2015, 7:21 AM EDT
Four walkoff wins last night.
May 26, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took what might be the final step before a rehab assignment Tuesday afternoon at Oakland’s O.Co Coliseum …
May 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura appeared to be in for an extended absence when he landed on the disabled list May 14 with a fracture in the pinkie on his throwing hand …
May 26, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the trade is done and is only awaiting approval from the commissioner’s office.
May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Check out this laser shot that Hunter Pence crushed Tuesday night at Milwaukee’s Miller Park …
May 26, 2015, 9:21 PM EDT
Great news on rehabbing ace Jose Fernandez.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
This wasn’t really a great catch by Josh Harrison because he bungled the route, but it did look cool …
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 29
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 13
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)