Feb 9, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
Via Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Dominican newspaper El Nacional reports that Carlos Marmol appeared at a hearing Friday regarding a domestic abuse case in the Dominican Republic. The judge sent the case to a higher court, which will render a ruling at an unknown date.
Marmol had a criminal complaint filed against him last week by Miledys Mejia Cepeda, but no charges have been filed. Marmol’s attorney, Nelson Pimentel, has denied the allegations and filed a counter complaint, accusing the woman of extortion and blackmail. The Cubs sent attorneys down to the Dominican Republic to look into the matter and team president Theo Epstein believes Marmol will be exonerated.
“We take any accusation of this nature seriously,” Epstein told the Tribune. “All the information we could gather supports Carlos’ contention that he is innocent of any wrongdoing. We expect this matter to be behind him soon.”
While Cepeda’s attorneys asked that Marmol be barred from leaving the country until the case is resolved, the reliever’s agent, Paul Kinzer, said he’s still expected to report to spring training on Monday.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 148
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (148)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)