Feb 9, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Via Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Dominican newspaper El Nacional reports that Carlos Marmol appeared at a hearing Friday regarding a domestic abuse case in the Dominican Republic. The judge sent the case to a higher court, which will render a ruling at an unknown date.
Marmol had a criminal complaint filed against him last week by Miledys Mejia Cepeda, but no charges have been filed. Marmol’s attorney, Nelson Pimentel, has denied the allegations and filed a counter complaint, accusing the woman of extortion and blackmail. The Cubs sent attorneys down to the Dominican Republic to look into the matter and team president Theo Epstein believes Marmol will be exonerated.
“We take any accusation of this nature seriously,” Epstein told the Tribune. “All the information we could gather supports Carlos’ contention that he is innocent of any wrongdoing. We expect this matter to be behind him soon.”
While Cepeda’s attorneys asked that Marmol be barred from leaving the country until the case is resolved, the reliever’s agent, Paul Kinzer, said he’s still expected to report to spring training on Monday.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)