Feb 9, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Paul Goldschmidt was impressive during his first full season in the big leagues last year, hitting .286/.359/.490 with 20 home runs, 82 RBI, 18 stolen bases and an .850 OPS. He isn’t arbitration-eligible until after the 2014 season and is under team control though 2017, but the Diamondbacks are interested in locking him up for the long haul.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said today that the club approached Goldschmidt about a long-term deal. However, the 25-year-old first baseman said he wanted to wait before thinking about it.
Making a deal now could set Goldschmidt up for life financially, but if he waits and can duplicate or even improve upon his numbers from 2012, his eventual payday could get even bigger. So he’s going to take his chances for now.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)