Feb 9, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT
Sadly, Pierre and Polanco seemed like givens to bat first and second from the moment they were plucked from the bargain bin this winter. The alternatives there the middle infield duo of Donovan Solano and Adeiny Hechavarria.
On the other hand, Stanton batting third is a bit of a surprise and quite seemingly a mistake, particularly given the lack of proven hitters behind him. Justin Ruggiano and Logan Morrison will be the fourth and fifth hitters in some order.
Let’s face it, most of the Marlins innings that begin with the leadoff man are going to unfold in a couple of ways:
– Pierre and Polanco both make outs, putting Stanton up with none on and two out.
– Pierre singles, attempts to steal second or gets moved up by Polanco. Stanton comes up with a man on second and one out and immediately gets pitched around or intentionally walked to set up the double play.
My thought is that it makes a lot more sense to hit Stanton fourth. For one thing, if he’s going to come up with no one on, it’s much better that he does it at the start of the inning, giving him a chance to start a rally, than with two outs. And hitting him fourth should open up more situations in which he’s up with multiple men on, making the intentional walk less likely.
Cleanup hitters simply get more RBI chances than No. 3 hitters, even without accounting for the fact that they get fewer at-bats. Last year, NL No. 4 hitters drove in 1,658 runs while hitting .272/.343/.470. No. 3 hitters, despite hitting slightly better at .283/.356/.469, drove in 1,509 runs.
Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things. The Marlins would have to figure out how to hit Stanton second, third and fourth to have much of a chance of avoiding the NL East basement this year.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
The Phillies are going to be bad in 2015. But just how bad?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Philadelphia’s pitching staff isn’t exactly stacked, but Gonzalez blew his chance to make the team by allowing 12 runs in 14 spring training innings.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Rendon injured the knee on March 9.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Mets are locking up one of the best defensive center fielders in the game.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
If he crushes Triple-A pitching he’ll be back soon enough.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
And it’s as random as it usually is.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Miami gave up left-hander Brian Flynn and minor leaguer Reid Redman to get Crow from Kansas City.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:46 AM EDT
Jenna and I talk about whether the Tigers can do it again.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
So don’t listen to the rumors about how it’s not fit for man nor beast nor Cubs fan.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
The Cardinals and Pirates are the class here, even if the Cubs get all the chatter these days.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:06 AM EDT
That’s a lotta burritos.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:58 PM EDT
A’s left fielder Coco Crisp has been bothered by discomfort in the middle of his right arm for much of spring training, limiting him to seven Cactus League games. And the injury isn’t getting any better.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
Is the fun over in Cincy?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have acquired right-handed starter Erasmo Ramirez from the Mariners in exchange for left-hander Mike Montgomery.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Gregerson figured to get the job after signing a three-year, $18.5 million free agent contract with Houston in early December and he pitched well enough this spring to fend off any potential competition.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
The 20-year-old right-hander announced the news on his Twitter account Tuesday …
Mar 31, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Baseball is not dying.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com shares the news …
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League appearance Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was officially declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Lefties never die. But Mijares is going to have a harder time now.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)