Red Sox prospect outfielder Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself in the leg while cleaning his gun
Feb 9, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said this morning that Brentz shot himself in the leg. There’s a chance he could play in games by the end of spring training, but Abraham notes that Cherington was “clearly displeased” about the incident.
11:33 AM: According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, Red Sox prospect outfielder Bryce Brentz will not be in big league camp this spring because of an injury he sustained due to an accidental discharge of a gun he was cleaning. Brentz declined to disclose the specific nature of the injury, but said it was “nothing serious” and that he should be ready for the season.
“Everything is fine,” Brentz said. “After the rookie program, I had an accident. Everything is fine, but I was cleaning my gun and it accidentally discharged on me and I sustained an injury. Nothing serious. That’s why I was out of big league camp, because at the time I’m not able to participate fully, but I am recovering very fast and should be OK for the season.
Brentz, 24, was a supplemental first-round pick of the Red Sox in 2010. He owns a .276/.335/.479 batting line over his first three seasons in pro ball and made his way to Triple-A Pawtucket at the end of 2012. Baseball America ranked him as the organization’s No. 8 prospect during the offseason. Now he’s getting attention for all the wrong reasons.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)