Feb 10, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs have finalized their two-year, $5 million free agent contract with Scott Hairston and designated Tony Campana for assignment to clear roster room.
Hairston will get regular playing time in right field this season in Chicago after batting .263 with a solid .803 OPS and a career-high 20 home runs across 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets.
Campana could draw interest from other teams because of his raw speed. He boasts 54 career stolen bases and has been caught only five times since breaking into the major leagues in 2011. The 26-year-old outfielder hit .264/.308/.299 in 2012.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (78)