Feb 10, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
[Derek] Lowe understands teams wanting to go with younger pitchers, but if they’re not comfortable with that, he seems to provide the alternative.
“I’ve made my money, so it’s not about money for me,” Lowe said. “What you’d be paying a kid and what you’d be paying me isn’t that much. I love to pitch and I want to keep pitching because I know I can still do it.
“I would love to be a starter, of course, but I understand the reality of having to work out of the bullpen.”
Lowe posted a cool 3.04 ERA in 17 relief appearances (23 2/3 innings) with the Yankees at the end of last season, but he has not attracted any guaranteed offers this winter. He turned down a minor league deal (with a spring training invite) from the Rockies last week because he doesn’t want to have to compete for a 25-man roster spot.
The 39-year-old righty has a 4.00 career ERA and a 1.33 career WHIP in 16 MLB seasons.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 22
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (153)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)