Derek Lowe hoping for a major league contract, willing to pitch out of a team’s bullpen

Feb 10, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT

lowe getty Getty Images

From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:

[Derek] Lowe understands teams wanting to go with younger pitchers, but if they’re not comfortable with that, he seems to provide the alternative.

“I’ve made my money, so it’s not about money for me,” Lowe said. “What you’d be paying a kid and what you’d be paying me isn’t that much. I love to pitch and I want to keep pitching because I know I can still do it.

“I would love to be a starter, of course, but I understand the reality of having to work out of the bullpen.”

Lowe posted a cool 3.04 ERA in 17 relief appearances (23 2/3 innings) with the Yankees at the end of last season, but he has not attracted any guaranteed offers this winter. He turned down a minor league deal (with a spring training invite) from the Rockies last week because he doesn’t want to have to compete for a 25-man roster spot.

The 39-year-old righty has a 4.00 career ERA and a 1.33 career WHIP in 16 MLB seasons.

1. vallewho - Feb 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

He’ll hook up somewhere now that he’s speaking realistically about his role.

2. tuberippin - Feb 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Good on him for not being so stubborn as to realize that his time as a starter is effectively over. Maybe he can get some injury-based spot-starts here and there for a team, but he’s going to be best as a bullpen specialist.

3. pisano - Feb 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

He did a good job for the Yankees last year, if used properly, he could be valuable to some team. When that sinker is working for him, he’s tough. Good luck to him.

4. Jason Lukehart - Feb 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I am also hoping for a Major League contract and am also willing to pitch out a team’s bullpen… AND I wasn’t effing terrible last year.

(Sorry, bitter Indians fan rant)

• Jason Lukehart - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I would like to apologize to Mr. Lowe. I hope you finds himself a paying gig and pitches until he’s 50.

5. mscxvd - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Lets not forget that he was ounce a promising closer who saved 42 games with a 2.56 era in 2000 for the red sox. I honestly believe he should have stayed a closer.

• Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten to take my Aricept this morning.

6. kylewo - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Honestly, I think the situation is sad. The way he’d been going on about being a starter previously this off season seemed a bit undignified. Now he is publicly talking about taking very low pay.

• Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Dignity isn’t that important anymore. Perhaps he’ll find a home on a tabloid cover.

7. ajbaxter1975 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Ironically, adding Lowe to the bullpen could be a good move for a team like Boston. Anything is better than the feces Red Sox pitchers were hurling off the mound last season.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3948)