Feb 10, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported on Thursday that the Mariners had reached agreement on a seven-year, $175 million contract extension with staff ace Felix Hernandez. But something apparently went wrong during the righty’s pre-signing physical.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, there is some concern about the status of Hernandez’s pitching elbow which “could affect contract talks.”
That’s all the information we have for now, but you can bet that more details will trickle out soon.
Hernandez, 26, posted a superb 3.06 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 223/56 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last season.
He is currently under contract for $19.5 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014.
UPDATE, 3:20 PM: Olney provides a little more insight in his story filed to ESPN.com:
The elbow issue is perceived by at least one of the parties in the deal as being a possible impediment to the completion of the new contract.
“It’s an issue,” said one source.
UPDATE, 3:37 PM: Nightengale hears that both sides are “still hoping to complete” the seven-year, $175 million contract extension. Perhaps the Mariners will try to add some injury clauses.
UPDATE, 4:18 PM: Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik gave a “no comment” to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times about the situation but noted that Felix will report to camp on schedule this week.
UPDATE, 4:39 PM: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says it could take a week, month or more to work through “various issues” in the language of the extension.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3