Feb 10, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
From Jon Heyman of CBS Sports comes word that the Indians have agreed to a minor league contract with right-handed starter Daisuke Matsuzaka. The deal carries an invitation to spring training, where the 32-year-old will be given a crack at a starting rotation spot. If he’s on the major league roster the entire season, he can earn an upwards of $4 million.
Dice-K will be reuniting in Cleveland with manager Terry Francona, who was hired away from his broadcasting job at ESPN in early October.
Matsuzaka posted an ugly 8.28 ERA, 1.71 WHIP and 41/20 K/BB ratio across 45 2/3 innings last summer for the Red Sox. He had a 4.52 overall ERA and a 1.42 overall WHIP during his six total seasons with Boston.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)