Introducing the Yankees Doom Watch

Feb 10, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT

CC Sabathia

I noted last week that people seem to be underselling the Yankees quite a bit. I’m seeing more and more of it. So much so that I’m getting the sense that one-dooms-manship of the Yankees will become a pretty prevalent meme between now and April. A contest of sorts between who can be most extreme in selling the Yankees short and predicting the ignominious end to the Jeter dynasty.

So let’s keep track of them, shall we? We’ll call it the “Yankees Doom Watch.”

Now, I’m not talking about merely being somewhat circumspect about the Yankees’ chances.  It’s totally rational and fair game to note that the team has some issues heading into the season. They don’t have a catcher. They’re relying on Kevin Youkilis to rebound way more than a contending team should be relying on a brittle and declining veteran to rebound. Everyone is getting older. There’s a decent chance that this team, like any other successful team, could crater. It’s a tough division. All have their strengths and all have their weaknesses and any of the five teams could reasonably win it or lose it.

No, I’m talking about examples of Yankees pessimism that go beyond the circumspect and tread into the dire. Conclusory predictions of futility that overstate the challenges they face. Failure to acknowledge that the team won 95 games last year.  Failure to acknowledge the weaknesses of the other teams in their division. Treatment of the 2012 ALCS as though it were the entire 2012 season. References to this team being like the 1965 Yankees are always a plus.

I’ll make an inaugural nomination: Bill Madden in this morning’s Daily News:

You have to go all the way back to 1992 for a spring training of lower expectations than this one for both the Yankees and the Mets, where in both cases, our locals have a better chance of finishing last than finishing first this season.

I’ll buy it for the Mets, but the Yankees? Really? Better chance of finishing in last place?  OK.

Last week Madden reported that A-Rod would never wear pinstripes again. This week he’s saying the Yankees have a better chance of finishing in last than first. What are the odds of a mea culpa on Madden’s part if A-Rod comes back midseason and leads them to a division title? You probably don’t want to bet your first born on that one.

Anyway, this one is definitely worthy of notice by the Yankee Doom Watch.  Please apprise us of any other examples you see between now and Opening Day.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Over the last few years there has never been a shortage of doomsayers. And all the Yankees continue to do is win. Will this year be any different? All I can say is those those forget history are doomed to repeat it. I look forward to hearing those naysayers next season after the Yankees prove them wrong this season.

• 18thstreet - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Totally agree. I’ve been predicting the collapse of the Jeter era Yankees for 10 years now. They keep chugging, at least in the regular season.

• tc4306 - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Maybe this year’s Yankees come to a fork in the road about the first of July.
        If they’re in it; they stay in it and try to win it.
        That could well happen.

They could also be out of it by then.

In that event, could see them trading Granderson
        and playing Williams or Austin in the OF.
        There could be a prospect at catcher and we don’t know
        what their long term plans are for Cano.
        The youth movement could be on and that
        could very well be their ticket to 5th for this season.

However, would not count on them being down for long.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It’s been some years since I’ve seen a typewriter in action.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

tc4306, the chance of either Mason Williams OR Tyler Austin being with the club in 2013 is virtually zero. Williams has not spent anytime above High A (Tampa) as for Tyler Austin he’s only had 7 AB’s in Double A. I think you can forget about them being available to the Yankees in 2013. The better chance is Slade Heathcott making the team in 2014 IF he can stay healthy. He had a fantastic Arizona Fall League.
        As for the catching situation the Yankees have 4 catchers not counting Stewart and Cervelli:
        Romine
        Gary Sanchez – the Yankees #1 rated prospect will probably open the season in Tampa
        J.R. Murphy – the Yankees #15 rated prospect by most accounts will probably open the season in Double A
        Bobby Wilson recently signed as a FA – who isn’t expected to make the team but rather to be used for minor league depth.

• cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, I don’t know where anyone comes up with fifth. I will say fairly easily that “on paper” that should be the Sawx. However, to assume that the NYY are a shoe in for winning the division again is not really rational. This is quite a different team from the one that won those 95 games last year. In all honestly last year doesn’t mean a damn thing.

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Let’s set the record straight…………………….just for a change for all the haters. The Yankees of the 80′s had top hitting lineups but poor starting pitchers. Why ? George , George, George. This year’s Yankee team has NOTHING IN COMMON with the 80′s Yankees. Craig….please spend some vacation time on an island. Riker’s Island for this poor attack on the Yankees……AMERICA TEAM.

• 18thstreet - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’m not sure why I’m bothering responding to badintent, but … starting in 1982 (because 1981 was strike-shortened, here’s the Yankees runs scored by year with the AL average in parenthesis:
        1980: NYY: 820 runs (AL average: 729)
        1981: 421 (437)
        1982: 709 (726)
        1983: 770 (727)
        1984: 758 (716)
        1985: 839 (737), first in the AL
        1986: 797 (746)
        1987: 788 (794)
        1988: 772 (704)
        1989: 698 (695)

They had the top-hitting lineup one year in the 1980s. Once. Why do people think they can just make up their own history? The Yankees had a good hitting team in the 1980s. Only once was it the best in the league.

• 4cornersfan - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

tc: When the Yankees come to a fork in the road, I say they take it.

• ctony1216 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM

The Doomsayer-o-rama runs through the entire season, typically spiking after the Yanks’ first 3-game losing streak and whenever the Yanks dip out of first place. With a stronger A.L. East, this is going to be a bumpy ride. The voices of doom will be howling, off-and-on, all summer.

2. chacochicken - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM

They’ll call this the seppuku season. Yanks finish last, disembowel everyone but Cano who wanders the West like Caine from Kung-Fu.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Whatchu mean “walk the earth”??

• badintent - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

@charochicken
      You dat the chicken that escaped the Red Sox Clubhouse and lived to sqwak about it.?? You gotta stop watching Shogun every night too much seppuku, not enough racing queens.

Bobby Valentine says he’s well and cashing those Red Sox checks this year in Florida.On his yachet

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

This is a team that won the AL East last season despite some injuries. I can still see them winning more than 90 games this season and being in the thick of things all season. This is not the Red Sox that we are discussing.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

If I had two thumbs up I would give you both for that comment. But alas I can give you just one which I did.

• ditto65 - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I threw mine in there for you. Feel free to take credit for my work – my coworkers certainly don’t hesitate…

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM

PC, I wouldn’t undersell the Red Sox either. The truth is, there are questions about every team in the AL East. I don’t think anyone is running away with the division, and that leaves an opening for all of them.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The 5th place team from last season should be a bit better; however, I do not see them moving out of the basement. As far as the Jays are concerned, they have improved a lot, but injuries can happen and they still have to play the games. Your Rays have a fine pitching staff and a fine manager. They can’t be counted out.

• 18thstreet - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

The great thing about Spring is that it’s a time to think of the best case scenario for every team. The Red Sox probably won’t be very good. But: if Lester and Buccholz pitch to their capabilities and the bullpen is as good as it appears to be, they’ll be okay. And if the offense gets full seasons from Middlebrooks and Ellsbury, they’ll be even better.

Do I think this will happen? No. But it’s not impossible. And — for me — that’s what I’m supposed to be doing when looking for reasons for hope.

• ditto65 - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

The Red Sox are on there third manager in three years. The last two were run out of town. I can see it taking at least a year to reassemble a winner.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Woman, there’s being generous and then there’s being patronizing.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I recall when I was but a spring chicken on this board and made allusions to the Yankees being old and getting pummelled in the upcoming season. This was in 2011, about February I said this. Annoyed the hell out of UYF, too. I ate those words, and how. I’ve learned to be much more circumspect. The Empire has a very good chance to get this done. With a healthy Alex Rodriguez by the AS Break (that guy is not to be taken lightly) a playoff push is very likely for The Empire.

I think we can all agree; its going to be a great season. Every team has a chance to be competitive. Even the BoSox, if they have the pitching. If we’re VERY unlucky the season will revolve on injuries, both old an new, but, with some luck and good health, there’s a very good chance for some epic offensive records being set, too.

I think the one thing we can say with some precision is that John Farrell will get a good taste of the Boston Media and could well be a grizzled tired old man by the end of the season. With any luck, he’ll be giving interviews on what its like watching his now John Gibbons Managed team enjoy the post season.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

kiss-asses

/throws tea leaves

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You know we do it to annoy you, right ‘philliac? Not all trolling requires shirtlessness.

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

You called it, cur. I’ve been saying the Yankees are ancient for several years, and every year those damn Yankees prove me wrong. They found whatever it was Ponce De Leon wanted.

As for the Sox, Farrell knows what he’s getting into having been the Sox’s pitching coach. If Lester pitches like he’s capable (and he’s BSOHL), and Bucholz becomes consistent, they’ll make things interesting. I don’t think they’ll make the post-season, but low expectations can be very freeing for a team.

As we all know, the beavermen have the fewest questions coming in to the season. Reyes on turf, injury prone pitchers… I should mention that I am working on my effigies of the Blue Jays pitching staff as we speak.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

WHAT!!!??? No effigies! League rule! No voodoo allowed. That dang Jonny5 ruined it for everyone last season

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I just can’t help myself. Corre en mi sangre.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

The Blue Jays seem to be the trendy pick. Their biggest problem last year was the injury bug. So how did they solve it? Trading young prospects away for a package of some of the most injury-prone players in MLB (Buehrle excepted), and an ace with no ligament in his elbow. The Jays SHOULD be better this year, but I don’t see that team as money in the bank.

• cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I think the point that indaburg makes is very valid. There are questions about all the AL east teams. I would say there really is case for any one of them to win the division. I think a couple of those cases are wafer thin though. This isn’t a “Doom Watch”, it is just an honest look at things. There are people making a “trendy pick”, but I think we are looking at a dog fight this year, more so than usual.

• cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I can see them winning 90, but it is also not impossible to see them winning 80. There’s that whole “who is gonna call the game behind the plate” thing, the “how are our older players going to come back from injury” thing, the “who is going to hit those 44 homeruns that Martin and Swisher hit” thing, and the “are we going to seriously improve at hitting with RISP” thing. Some of these questions might be answered in Spring training, others will not. There is no real need to panic now since the NYY are usually slow in spring training and coming out of the gate. The time to watch will be @ May 15 to the All Star break. If that time period sees no acceleration in certain players game, or a long term injury to a key player or 2, that could spell trouble.

4. barrywhererufrom - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Eventually the doomsday turds will be right..it only tajes one bad season out of 18 seasons and they will be right in their minds..lets see the Yankees run started in 94..and if the doomsday dudes are right it will be done in 2013..not a bad run..but like Rasputin the Yankees have been left for dead and they come back and make the playoffs..we shall soon find out who is right and wrong..

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Big deal, even if they flounder this year, doesn’t mean anything for the next. In 2008 they went 89-73 making third place. Next year they won the World Series. Granted the situation is not similar since their stars were younger then, it’s possible we may be seeing the end of domination (Where the Yankees have been almost perennial favorites to win the division), but they’re still good enough to make the playoffs year in – year out.

The interesting dynamic is their goal of getting under the Luxury tax and how that changes their approach in roster construction given current obligations.

5. Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Madden sounds like he’s limbering up for the Yahoo blogs. Oh boy.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry too much about the mien age of the Borg this year. The Steinbrenners can still afford as much formaldehyde as they need.

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM

The scary thing is Madden used to be the sane one. Now he’s merely the skinniest kid at fat camp. Even in his now diminished stature he’s still Grantland Rice compared to Lupica.

Maybe the it’s the coffee in they provide in the NY Daily New’s break room? Perhaps it’s time for Bill to cease drinking the company swill and start getting his coffee from Micky Dees?

6. stairwayto7 - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Yanks and Redsox battle for 4th!

7. whatthehellisansky - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yanks will make the playoffs. period.

8. sisqsage - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Winning seasons for a team that spends as much on free agents as the Yanks have done for years is not enough in a city that is the media and pro sports capital of the world, and is home to 26 championships won by the Bombers.
    In the last three years they have missed out on a World Series trip by losing to some pretty flawed teams that were very beatable (The Tigers won all of 88 games last year. Wow!).
    Seems like a high standard (making it to the series on a routine basis), but the great Yankee teams of the past would know how to meet it.
    Heck, one could argue the Rays have been almost as succcessful in the last few years while spending a heck of a lot less.

• ugglasforearms - Feb 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

27 championships

9. shoehole - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hey sisquage. The Tigers won In September when it really mattered. If I recall they beat your Yankees without too much trouble and, they beat out the A’s who were a stronger team then the Yankees at the time. Remember also, both the A’s and yanks had home field advantage over the lowly Tigers.

10. historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Ah, yes, the 2012 ALCS. That was lovely.

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It was almost as lovely as the 2012 World Series…. ;-)

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Ah, yes, the Rays watched from home. ;)

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM

With the better record. You’re welcome. Stupid divisions.

Seriously, that was one boring ass World Series. I’ve nothing against the kittens, but I was annoyed by both the Yankees and Tigers for back to back somnambulant series. At least put up a fight. Dammit.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You don’t think that was painful for me to watch? They could play much better than that. If they’d just played to their norm, it would’ve been interesting. Hopefully, this year is better, since we’ve cut some dead weight and upgraded…and V-Mart returns!!!

11. bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Ironically it seems to be the New York tabloids that are beating the doom and gloom drum harder than any other group. So consider the source.

Every year the Yankees are too old, to fragile, aren’t developing enough of their own talent or fast enough . Every year the Yankees are on the verge of imploding to the extent that they will need a complete overhaul. Same old song.

The facts are the only better rotation in the AL East would be the Rays, but not by that much considering the Rays are terrible offensively. The Yankees get the nod for the best pen in the division. Defensively the left side of the infield is a question because Jeter is coming off a serious injury and Youkilis is new to the Yankees and has a injury history himself. Could the Yankees start the season begin with Nunez and TBD on the left side of the infield, .. perhaps? Offensively they had a lot of HRs walk but they still have more than enough bats to be competitive.

The RS have so many issues I’d be surprised if they finished higher that last. The Jays have improved a lot and have a new, .. and I think better, .. manager so they will make things interesting. The Rays have pitching but I think their line up is in fact weaker so they likely slip. The O’s will be tough like last year but they had a great record in close games which isn’t likely to repeat itself.

I could see the Yankees winning the division or finishing third. Same with the Jays or O’s. I think the Rays are suspect and the RS need more time to be competitive. But, bring on the doom and gloom it doesn’t matter once the games start. Yankees as underdogs?? Yeah right.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Some may consider this bias, so be it. But if you ask me the division will shake out:
      Yankees
      Jays
      Rays
      Orioles
      Red Sox

Last year the Orioles went 29-9 in one run games and 16-2 in extra inning games. That’s very, very unlikely to happen again. As for the Yankees the only real issue I see them heading into the regular season with is their catching position. And I think that will be rectified in short order, when Romine is given the starting job by May 1st. Baring injuries which can happen to any team, but baring that with Gardner, Ichiro and Pettitte available the entire season I really expect them to be as good as last year. But we will wait and see.

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Could be but except the Ray, anyone of the first four teams have the ability to win the division. And, because of recent history and Showalter’s experience likely leaves them as the biggest threat to the Yankees.

My point is the division is close. For the top four teams, closer than it’s been in a long time. And, like you, I’m biased but I think the Yankees are the team to beat and I think the evidence is there to support that opinion. What is silly to me is that the Yankees are being touted as being on the verge of cratering, .. again. Year after year it’s the same old song. The Yankees have the resources and willingness to do whatever it takes to be competitive. The notion that they are clearly at risk is nonsense.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Lettuce remember that Romaine is currently a suspect rather than a saviour. I agree with the Yankee fans that any one of four, no make that three, teams might win. It should be a lot of fun.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

proudly, I think Romine is going to surprise a lot of people his defense is very good and offensively I think he will be able to get the job done. In any case he certainly brings more to the table then either Stewart or Cervelli. And he really just needs to hold the fort down until the 2015 season when with a little bit of luck the Yankees #1 prospect Gary Sanchez (by most accounts) should be able to take on the catching reins.

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

“Lettuce remember that Romaine …”

I see what you did there. Not funny. Well OK a bit funny.

Like UFY I think that Romaine is a real prospect that is close. But, missing most of last year with a back injury is worrying.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

bigharold, that’s true about his injury last year. But he came back to play very well in the Arizona Fall League which is very encouraging. I think the Yankees will in all likelihood give him a good look in spring training and then give him the 1st month in Triple A before he gets called up the beginning of May assuming there are no lingering effects from his 2012 back issues. If he plays very well in ST they may not even send him to Triple A for the 1st month. We’ll see.

• cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Ignoring all the question marks and ASSuming that what happened last year means anything at all this year, now that’s nonsense. It’s part of that wonderful mystique that some Yankee fans feel they have to display…”we are the Yankees so we are entitled to the best record and the best FA”. Nonsense. That’s why they make the guys trot out there and actually play 162 games. Do the NYY have a very good chance to win, sure. Are they obvious favorites like they often have been for the last 18 years, not so much.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

cack…., we get it. You think anything can and might happen and nothing from the past year means anything going forward. I think we get it, there are no guarantees. I will merely point out I can hardly remember a season for the Yankees that there have no been question marks but somehow someway the Yankees have always or certainly a lot more often then not been able to weather those question marks. I have faith in the Yankees and Brian Cashman’s abilities. I have no doubt he knows a lot more about the goings on within the Yankees and how to minimize those question marks better then anyone of us.

• jwbiii - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

“But [Austin Romine] came back to play very well in the Arizona Fall League which is very encouraging.”

That Romine played at all is encouraging, but I wouldn’t consider a 222/342/286 batting line in the AFL as “playing very well.” Slade Heathcott, on the other hand. . .

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

jwbiii, here is an excerpt from Examiner.com after the Arizona Fall League concluded. Please note the part about being named a top prospect at his position and the part and I quote: “However, he had the second highest OPS among regular catchers, earning him a spot on the Top Prospects roster.”

Two Yankee prospects who partook in the 2012 Arizona Fall League have been named to the league’s “Top Prospects” team….Triple-A catcher Austin Romine also received the honor of being named as one of two catchers on the Top Prospects team.
        Romine struggled at the plate, hitting just .222 in his limited Fall League stint. However, he had the second highest OPS among regular catchers, earning him a spot on the Top Prospects roster. Romine’s hopes of making the major league roster hinge on contract negotiations with Russell Martin. In all likelihood though, Romine will begin in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with his eyes set on being in the Bronx full-time by the All-Star Game.

Here is the link to the complete article:

Considering he missed all of the 2012 season that’s pretty good. Sometimes a narrow view of the numbers can be misleading.

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

“..”we are the Yankees so we are entitled to the best record and the best FA”.”

That isn’t what anybody has stated nor inferred. Did you bother to attempt to understand the various positions stated? Let me recap, generally the conventional wisdom is that the AL East will be tough and no team is the consensus overwhelming favorite.

If you want to hate the Yankees, .. go ahead but if you want to take exception with any ones position you need to do a better job of identifying position your take offense to adt articulating your issue with it.

• jwbiii - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

uyf, Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Here’s what I’ve got for AFL catchers (OPS, ABs, player, Team):
        2.000 1 Brett Nicholas, Surprise
        .515 49 Tommy Joseph, Peoria
        .514 35 Kellin Deglan, Surprise
        .508 36 Jose Gonzalez, Salt River
        .428 41 James McCann, Mesa
        .311 9 Matt Kennelly, Phoenix

Stats from here http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/index.jsp

The only way for Austin Romine to be the second best regular catcher is to set the playing time bar for regulars at 50 ABs, which means that there are only two qualifying catchers. Placing in a two horse race is never a good thing, but not being as good a hitter as Mike Zunino doesn’t make him bad. TFA says the All Star team is based on AFL performance and MLB projectability. I guess I am more bearish on catchers with with back injuries which are likely to recur. I wish him luck.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

jwbiii, I’m more optimistic about Romine’s potential. And like I said before considering he missed virtually all of the 2012 season I think his AFL performance is very encouraging. Also, as I said previously he really only needs to hold down the fort until the 2015 season when the Yankees current #1 prospect Gary Sanchez will be ready to be the full time catcher.
        But we will see how he does. I’m sure he will be given a chance at some point during the 2013 season to show off his skills.

12. steelers88 - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees didn’t make the Playoffs but I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees won the World Series.

13. Darkoestrada - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

This is basically the “first world problems” meme applied to baseball.

Oh no the Yankees might not get a lot of offense out of catcher and have a question mark at third base.

14. dondada10 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The entire American League seem stacked this year. I think Oakland can win 95, the Angels are the off-season champs (again), and the entire AL East is loaded. Mix in Texas and the A.L. Central and it’s going to be close all year.

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How are the Angels the off-season champs? They lost Tori Hunter (who, by the way, was a better player than Hamilton last year), Haren is gone, they failed to re-sign Greinke, they traded away Santana, they overpaid for a highly inconsistent and injury prone player (Hamilton has had only one fantastic year, that’s it, one), they added a pitcher with a shredded shoulder, and some stuff. I think they’ll be a decent team, but they are not as good heading into this year as they were heading into last year. I really can’t find a single good move the Angels have made this year.

• kiwicricket - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I agree along those lines.
        The Angels being more competitive/dominant will have to do more with Aybar and Kendrick having good seasons, than the addition of Hamilton. Those two were terrible in the first half last year and it showed in their record.

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

….and what does ‘mix in…the A.L. Central” mean? The AL Central is a putrid division. It is the Tigers and a bunch of teams hoping to take advantage of the divisional suckage enough to get above .500.

• dondada10 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Meow. Awfully catty today, Paper.

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I’m sore from shoveling snow the last 2 days….that’s my excuse.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Getting in BSOYL?

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Nah, if I was in the BSOML (which was probably in 1996), I could have done all of that shoveling in one day and then went to help the neighbors.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You don’t get to make the list then. (It cracks me up that you’ve pinpointed a BSOYL year though.)

I’m sure the doggies are happy and the snow is pretty, so you got that

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Oh, the place looks great, all covered in white, trails out to the shed and wood pile, around to the gate and all. It was a beautiful sunny day.

Pinpointing when I was in the BSOML is pretty easy for me. I spent 1996 and the first 1/2 of 1997 in Paraguay doing field work, going all around the country working 18 hr days. I was ripped.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I’m jealous. I miss snow. :(

15. masonicmuseum - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

At the end of the year the Yankees will be leading the AL East.

16. thebadguyswon - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The AL East is hard to predict because you really can’t know with any certainty how each rotation will perform.

17. dirtydrew - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

With the Yankees and Red Sox both being down, can we see some other teams on tv? I have seen more than enough of ESPN and their non stop coverage of anything east coast.

• dondada10 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I know it’s still a little eastcoasty, but I wanna see Toronto and my boys R.A. and Reyes play.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Move to Canada. We will see all 162 Jays games plus the playoffs.

18. 85pmart - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yankees need to shitcan youk. A-rod better be there instead of youk. It’ll be bad if Ichiro and Gardner get nailed for cannabis. Cano, ya know, ready for his career year. Isn’t Yogi available, WhoreHay? Kid out of UC Berkley at C?
    Yanks, Toronto, Bal, TB, Bos. Read ‘em and weep, mofo. Oh, yeah, one more thing, well, two: CC = 25 wins Andy = 21

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

me flunk English, that’s unpossible!

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That was English?!

• cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

interesting that you are the one that brought up cannabis…it explains a great many things

19. cowboysoldiertx - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Forgive me but I wouldn’t write off any team (except the Marlins and Astros) before the season begins. The A’s were supposed to be a third place tema last year, the Pads lose 100 and the Rangers win the World Series. Any of that happen?

20. greymares - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

don’t really care what happens to the Yankees but Yankee fans deserve about 50 yrs. of losing baseball. but i doubt there will be any Yankee fans after about 10 yrs.

21. ejannetta - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The AL East is a tough Division….BUT! no way the Yankees end up in last place…most likely the Red Sox will finish last….The Yanks have better starting pitching than the Sox and I like the Yanks bullpen better…don’t forget David Ardsma should be back 100%.

22. jfk69 - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Injuries,unrealized expectations and assorted surprises is why the game will be decided on the field. The division is tough But the Yankees have enough talent to get a wild card in a transition year. Like the football Giants who realized they did not make it back to the playoffs with the same Super Bowl team and have cut accordingly. The Yankees have only three or four expensive players signed beyond 2013 and i see Cashman making the overhaul while putting a product out there that has a chance. Unlike the Mets and Jets who lurch from crisis to crisis while being constrained with expensive desperate signings.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug