Feb 10, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the scoop:
The Nationals and others continue to monitor Vazquez, who is recovering from minor knee surgery. Washington’s interest may be piqued by revelations of Gio Gonzalez’s links to the Miami anti-aging clinic and PEDs. The Nationals believe Ross Detwiler could emerge as a successful lefty after going 10-8 with a 3.40 ERA last year in 33 games (27 starts). But Vazquez would give them depth.
Vazquez first wants pitch for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic before deciding whether to return to MLB. He sat out the entire 2012 season despite posting a strong 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 162/50 K/BB ratio across 192 2/3 innings with the Marlins in 2011.
The 36-year-old should be recovered from his recent knee procedure by the start of the 2013 WBC.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)