Feb 10, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, sorry. Didn’t realize that D.J. wrote about this yesterday. In my defense, I was trying to do an Internet detox yesterday and didn’t see it. NOT in my defense: I failed to go back and look to see if anyone covered it yesterday, so yes, I’m lazy and redundant.
11:06 AM: The Red Sox’ first round draft pick from 2010 had an accident:
Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington says outfield prospect Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself in the leg last month, but could recover in time to play in spring training. Cherington said Saturday that Brentz was cleaning the gun went it went off. The bullet passed through Brentz’s left leg.
I have a friend who is a cop and he once told me that basically every accidental shooting he and his colleagues have ever seen were said by the victims to have occurred while “cleaning the gun.” He can’t recall anyone ever saying that they were goofing off or being careless when accidentally shooting themselves. It’s always when they’re cleaning them. Damndest thing.
Anyway, Brentz was pretty lucky to have a clean injury like this rather than to have broken a bone or tore some muscle that would make his recovery a much longer proposition.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 42
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 119
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (117)