Feb 10, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Um, sorry. Didn’t realize that D.J. wrote about this yesterday. In my defense, I was trying to do an Internet detox yesterday and didn’t see it. NOT in my defense: I failed to go back and look to see if anyone covered it yesterday, so yes, I’m lazy and redundant.
11:06 AM: The Red Sox’ first round draft pick from 2010 had an accident:
Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington says outfield prospect Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself in the leg last month, but could recover in time to play in spring training. Cherington said Saturday that Brentz was cleaning the gun went it went off. The bullet passed through Brentz’s left leg.
I have a friend who is a cop and he once told me that basically every accidental shooting he and his colleagues have ever seen were said by the victims to have occurred while “cleaning the gun.” He can’t recall anyone ever saying that they were goofing off or being careless when accidentally shooting themselves. It’s always when they’re cleaning them. Damndest thing.
Anyway, Brentz was pretty lucky to have a clean injury like this rather than to have broken a bone or tore some muscle that would make his recovery a much longer proposition.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17