Red Sox’ prospect Bryce Brentz shot himself in the leg

Feb 10, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

Bryce Brentz

UPDATE: Um, sorry. Didn’t realize that D.J. wrote about this yesterday. In my defense, I was trying to do an Internet detox yesterday and didn’t see it. NOT in my defense: I failed to go back and look to see if anyone covered it yesterday, so yes, I’m lazy and redundant.

11:06 AM: The Red Sox’ first round draft pick from 2010 had an accident:

Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington says outfield prospect Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself in the leg last month, but could recover in time to play in spring training. Cherington said Saturday that Brentz was cleaning the gun went it went off. The bullet passed through Brentz’s left leg.

Whoops.

I have a friend who is a cop and he once told me that basically every accidental shooting he and his colleagues have ever seen were said by the victims to have occurred while “cleaning the gun.” He can’t recall anyone ever saying that they were goofing off or being careless when accidentally shooting themselves. It’s always when they’re cleaning them. Damndest thing.

Anyway, Brentz was pretty lucky to have a clean injury like this rather than to have broken a bone or tore some muscle that would make his recovery a much longer proposition.

1. dondada10 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Didn’t we already have this post? Did he shoot himself in the other leg?

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yep. Craig’s either sleepy or hasn’t read HBT from yesterday. Good quip about the police officer take on “cleaning the gun”, though. I hadn’t heard that one.

• Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

We can change the headline slightly: Circling the Bases Blogger Craig Calcaterra Shot Himself in the Foot.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM

We only made 61* today, but it was sunny after all. Unfortunately, it was windy as all get out, and since we are going on the third year of a drought, the fire danger was high. Still, it was enjoyable cruising down Perpetual Construction Parkway with the windows down and Buddy Holly cranked. Oh, and since I was at a birthday party, I had some cake. How was your day? Dug out from all that snow?

• cur68 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Out from under the snow, yes. Got more snow, yes. Had an amazing walk with my dog, though. She found an owl kill. Must have been a rabbit. There was a lot of blood. Anyways, I got some owl feathers. So, to sum up; no cake, no sun, froze gonads. Got owl feathers. Not bad, eh?

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I’m very sorry for trolling you. My tire blew out and my phone died. Whatever you did with that feather, please make it stop. :(

2. historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

It’s Groundhog Day!!!!!!!

• Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

What are you talking about? Yesterday was Groundhog Day.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

and tomorrow…

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

What thins…Woodpecker…whatever works for you.
      I am good with either one.
      I would also like to get an Atlanta Crackers shirt.
      Speaking of which…I don’t believe you when you claim you were “unnerved” by your grandpa’s picture. Unless…you know…you were looking for something to get all “up in arms” about.
      Hahahaha! Of course…I am too the point where I fully believe your side can’t help themselves.
      Oh the humanity! Gasp!

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I think the team is still around, so you could probably pick up a shirt. I really was freaked out by it — enough to look it up and find out about the Black Cracker thing. FYI, I shared the story w/ my baseball buddies and they were shocked too — and a good number of them are not liberals. And, then we all cracked up about the “Black Crackers.”

PS I’m sad to see we are on “sides” now.

3. masonicmuseum - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We need fewer idiots and fewer guns. They say guns don’t kill people, its the people who do the killing, then lets ban idiots too.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

The world seems to have a minimum requirement of idiots. Mother Nature must take it as a challenge and try to see to it that for every fool proof plan or design there’s enough fools around to fool with it. Its a kind of Meta Fooling.

• Old Gator - Feb 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You can’t “ban” idiots – various other genes, like the ones for voting Republican against your own interests, immense bulk, toilet training, big weewees and so forth, are often found in recessive formations linked with idiot genes.

Let’s just register them.

4. sonoco - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Cheddar Bryce . . . good work!

5. lyon810 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Bush league reporting. I will never return to this blog. I would expect this of Albom or Lupica, but never DJ and HBT

• silversun60 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Pretty sure reporting and blogging are two separate things. This is a blog…. no reporting required.

• dondada10 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We’ve lost lyon810 as a poster?

• raysfan1 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Excellent. May I suggest some other fellow-trolls for you to take with you?

6. historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Oh, crap! I have a birthday thing to go to in a bit. No one drop anything about the Founding Fathers (FF) b/c I won’t be around to correct it til later. This is now a No-FF Zone. Thank you for your cooperation.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Weren’t all those FF guys born in Britain? I think I read where one of your history teaching colleagues said that on this very board. I’m not sure I trust what you “History Professor” types have to say.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Ancestor-worship tends to addle one’s grasp on reality. That’s why I don’t go in for that kind of thing. They won’t be mad if we change shit. They’ll be too dead to notice.

• ltzep75 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Some of them were born to women of low repute in the Virgin Islands, and later shot after participating in a duel.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

OK, most of the FF dudes were born in the British colonies that became the US but some were born in Ireland, England or Scotland. Alexander Hamilton was born in the Leeward Islands, out of wedlock, gasp, to a married woman of partial French descent (well, that explains it).

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Define Britain. Britain as in the country in western Europe or as in the Empire? Most were born in the Americas on land that was to become the US. Only a handful were born in Britannia proper. I suppose technically speaking, they couldn’t be born in the US since it didn’t exist, right? (Just like technically speaking, Canada could not possibly have won the War of 1812 since Canada as a nation didn’t exist. It was just the frozen part of the British Empire.)

Oh shoot, is ‘philiac back yet? ‘Cause this is a FF free zone ’til she gets back.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That A-hole Hamilton!

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

A-hole Hamilton? What do you have against Josh Hamilton and centralized banking?

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Don’t get me started on Hamy Chews, but A Hamilton is the historical figure I’d most like to slap…freaking toady of the 1%.

• indaburg - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Nice gravatar!

Yeah. A-Ham was pretty much a dick.

• historiophiliac - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I couldn’t wait any longer. he he We’ve almost made it!

• sportsdrenched - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Speaking of Alexander Hamilton and firearms. Every election cycle there’s this talk about “the nastiest campaign, EVER!”. Nahhh, don’t bring that noise till the two people running agree to a duel with each other.

and with that. Happy Spring Training Day everyone.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We report tomorrow. :(

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

LOL! Please know I intentionally chose the word “sides.” I believe it was 18th Street who used the word last week. Or potentially another guilt ridden liberal.
      I get you people confused as you all look a like. Hahaha!
      In all seriousness…it was a joke.
      We are on the same side. We just have disagreements!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

You wait just one minute! I was agreeing with you in regards to the WBC.
      I pointed out as much to Fiorintino.
      And “poopsie” is a funny word. Funny to say…funny to see…and funny to type.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM

You just like “poop.” lol

7. titknocker - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

To Gobbler’s Knob. It’s Groundhog Day.

• raysfan1 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Ned? Ned Reyerson?!

• southofheaven81 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Well what if there IS no tomorrow? There wasn’t one today!

8. edelmanfanclub - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I encited a huge arguement over vocabulary on the other article about Brentz shooting himself.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Was that a 5-minute argument or the full half-hour? Sorry, this is abuse, arguments are down the hall, room 12-C.

• raysfan1 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT?
        M: Well, I was told outside that…
        Q: Don’t give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
        M: What?
        Q: Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
        M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I’m not going to just stand…!!
        Q: OH, oh I’m sorry, but this is abuse.
        M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
        Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
        M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
        Q: Not at all.
        M: Thank You.
        (Under his breath) Stupid git!!

Love the Monty Python reference!

• raysfan1 - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Here is a link to the whole script for that sketch:

Reminds me a lot of the comments sections for the PEDs and HOF voting posts.

9. sportsdrenched - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM

What is wrong with people? I don’t even put my firearms away until I triple checked to make sure the chamber (and mag) is clear, much less start tearing one down for a cleaning.

10. yousuxxors - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

who doesnt check their gun if its loaded vefore you clean it.

11. mjdelena - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM

And the season has not even started. Good luck sox

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate