Francisco Liriano broke his arm while “trying to startle his kids” on Christmas morning

Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

francisco liriano getty Getty Images

Francisco Liriano cost himself a lot of guaranteed money when he broke his non-pitching arm this offseason. The Pirates tore up a two-year, $12.75 million deal and it was replaced with one that only guarantees him $1 million. He can get it all back if he achieves certain benchmarks and has his 2014 option vest, but it’s still a lot more risk because of a freak accident.

Or was it a freak accident? In January it was reported in a Dominican Republic newspaper that he broke his arm “in a bathroom fall.” But Liriano reported to Pirates camp in Bradenton today, and this is the story he gave:

The father in me is wondering if the starling was of the “bang hard on a door to make the kids think Santa Claus is trying to come in the house or something weird like that” variety or the “these monsters are hyper as hell and I need to get their attention so I’m gonna bang it on this door” variety.

Either way: man, what a way to potentially cost yourself $11 million bucks.

Liriano also said he needs four more weeks of rehab before he can throw off a mound.

1. flosox - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Man, I know alot of these guys coming out of the Latin countries have faked their age, but in this case they should really scrub his birth certificate to make sure he’s not really an 80 year old woman.

How brittle do your bones have to be to break your arm banging on the door? Falling down, sure. I can see that, but banging it on a door frame? Unless its deliberate, I doubt it. If so, give the guy some calcium chews stat!!

My guess is this is similar to Griffey Jr when he said he broke his arm deep sea fishing and we later found out it was from a trampoline accident (or something, can’t recall exactly).

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I believe Griffey Jr. Broke his throwing hand while horsing with his son at home. Oh, and he also pinched one of his huevos while putting on his cup.

• thomas844 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Not to mention Joba Chamberlain’s trampoline accident while playing with his kid. I gotta tell ya, these kids are more dangerous to the players than fellow Major Leaguers!

• byjiminy - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

It’s not just the kids: it’s women who have the kids. Savvy owners should insist all their players be gay (and promise not to adopt).

2. edelmanfanclub - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

At least he didn’t shoot himself or cut his foot with an axe. Professionals are humans they make mistakes and do stupid things. This was a freak accident to say that least. I’m sure their kids were scared by their dad breaking his arm if not by his first attempt. Get better franky

3. Ralph - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And that’s why you don’t use a one armed person to scare someone!

4. thomas844 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

This is definitely up there with Milton Bradley getting injured by Bud Black holding him back during an argument as one of the lamest, most embarrassing injuries ever.

5. jarathen - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I know, I’m a weird fella, but I startled my kid on Christmas with Mt. Presents, a veritable mountain of presents. I left the loud sounds of domestic violence for other, less notable holidays. Like Valentine’s Day. Look out, kid!

6. nolanwiffle - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

BAM, BAM, BAM…..”Merry Christma…….ah shit I think I broke my arm!”

“Merry Christmas, Daddy!”

7. hughhansen - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That I’ve now confused Francisco Liriano with Fausto Carmona multiple times [briefly] has me worried I’m turning into my father.

8. kiwicricket - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Riiiiightt…..And my boxing day hang-over was from all the Christmas pudding and choc-covered scorched almonds I ate.

9. 1twinsfan - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

This is sort of the truth but really, Liriano was banging on his own bedroom to scare Santa Claus and Mrs. Liriano. Ho-Ho-Uh-Oh!

10. coryfor3 - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Startling your children on Christmas? Did he confuse it with Halloween?

11. ironman721 - Feb 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Good thing “there is no crying in baseball!” Because this could turn out to be a nightmare before x-mas for that idiot.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3057)