Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Francisco Liriano cost himself a lot of guaranteed money when he broke his non-pitching arm this offseason. The Pirates tore up a two-year, $12.75 million deal and it was replaced with one that only guarantees him $1 million. He can get it all back if he achieves certain benchmarks and has his 2014 option vest, but it’s still a lot more risk because of a freak accident.
Or was it a freak accident? In January it was reported in a Dominican Republic newspaper that he broke his arm “in a bathroom fall.” But Liriano reported to Pirates camp in Bradenton today, and this is the story he gave:
Francisco Liriano said he broke his arm when he slammed it against a door, trying to startle his kids Christmas Day. #Pirates
— Michael Sanserino (@msanserino) February 11, 2013
The father in me is wondering if the starling was of the “bang hard on a door to make the kids think Santa Claus is trying to come in the house or something weird like that” variety or the “these monsters are hyper as hell and I need to get their attention so I’m gonna bang it on this door” variety.
Either way: man, what a way to potentially cost yourself $11 million bucks.
Liriano also said he needs four more weeks of rehab before he can throw off a mound.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (84)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)