“He’s like Derek Jeter. Very calm”

Feb 11, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

Randy Levine

That’s Yankees President Randy Levine. Talking about one of his show dogs:

Meet sweet Mitch, a 5-year-old yellow Labrador retriever. He’s a rookie at America’s top dog show, yet he comes with a pinstripe pedigree — his co-owner is New York Yankees President Randy Levine.

“He’s like Derek Jeter. Very calm,” Levine said.

So on the week baseball spring training begins for pitchers and catchers, Levine will be among the pinschers and cockers. The Westminster Kennel Club show starts Monday, with Mitch set to walk the show ring on Tuesday morning.

Mitch: a true Yankee. Unlike that A-Rod.

1. stex52 - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

And, I guess like Jeter, Mitch gets bred frequently.

• number42is1 - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

you saying he gets to fu*k mad bitches?

2. mybrunoblog - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Poor Randy Levine. You know your not very good looking when most of us look at that picture and think “Wow, those are good looking dogs”

3. jckid21 - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Mitch makes sense considering he already has a dog named “AROD” who plays on his team.

4. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

…and, he can be safely traded to Toronto.

5. jarathen - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

His reliability and demeanor is how he keeps on winning the Golden Bowl.

6. Jason Lukehart - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Hopefully the judges don’t ask the dog to move to his left.

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

^^^ This.

7. paperlions - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Man, that is high praise for Jeter. Everyone should hope to earn a comparison to such a superior species.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Hmmm, wonder what kind of dog you have.

• paperlions - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Right now I have 2:

A 70 lb male black-tri Australian shepherd that just turned 4 (got him from a rescue when he was 20 months old) and a 12 lb rat terrier that is about 9 that I picked up as a stray over 8 years ago when I was living in west Texas, no body claimed her….so…she stayed.

Until a year ago I had a Golden Retriever that I got from the pound when she was about 8 months old. She was the best dog in the world…but they don’t last forever.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I’m still getting over putting down my pup (little over a year ago). She was a 57 — black lab, chow, boxer & blue heeler. Labs are good dogs. Thankfully, she had the lab personality (but unfortunately, shed like a Chow). I can’t do those yappy little dogs.

• paperlions - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Molly is the only small dog I’ve ever had….but she has no idea that she is small. She is a big dog in a 12 lb body. She goes on long hikes in the woods, she swims, she does tricks and what little agility I bothered to teach her, and she will wrestle with any dog no matter its size. She and Ajax wrestle every day.

I had to have Hannah put to sleep last February 23rd, I got Ajax over a year before in preparation….no way I could have got a dog right after, and I didn’t want to have just one dog. I’m not over it, and I really don’t think I ever will be. I’m okay with that.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Well, it’s like losing a family member. I feel guilty b/c I kept CoCo too long. Maybe I’ll get over that someday.

8. anotheryx - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

“In other news, after all of the things I’ve heard said and reported about Levine, I thought it would be impossible to humanize the guy. This helps a lot, though.”

I don’t know… Humanize is not what I had in mind when I think of dog shows.

9. Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

So this is why random gift baskets keep popping up in NYC next to fire hydrants.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS