Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.
Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 40
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)