Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.
Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)