Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.
Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 20
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 70
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)