Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.
Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (214)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)