Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.
Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)