Justin Verlander will not pitch in the WBC

Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Justin Verlander Getty Images

A couple of weeks ago Justin Verlander was reported to be considering pitching in the WBC. He gave a deadline of February 20 to make up his mind. Today he met his deadline early, telling reporters on the first day of pitchers and catchers reporting that he will not be participating.

Personally, I’m surprised that he didn’t wait to come down with a “sore arm” or something to give him more cover than this, but why bother making stuff up when everyone except a few commentators understands that the Tigers 2013 regular season is way more important to him and his team than the WBC is.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Good news for Verlander and the Tigers fans. Nobody cares about the WBC anyway.

• blacksables - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I’m glad you feel you have the right to speak for me. Please tell me my opinion of the federal deficit. Someone might ask me about it tomorrow.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Did I huwt your feelings by making a generalization about the WBC? I really feel so badly. I wish there was an edit button so then I could go and change what I said…I could change it to

“Nobody (except blacksables) cares about the WBC anyway”

Would that make you feel better poopsie?

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Chris, you should re-edit so it says I also care about the WBC. You’re not even a Tiger fan. Do not presume to speak for “us.” It’s quite enough to give your own opinion. Leave it at that.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

While the “poopsie” reference did make me laugh…I too care about the WBC.
      But well done with regards to the “poopsie.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Boooo!

2. philliesblow - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Hallelujah! This tournament is an injury waiting to happen and should be killed immediately.

• cktai - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Really? Why not list all the players that got injured during the previous two editions of the WBC.

Because honestly I can’t think of any

3. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

And in other news, Rinku Singh won’t be representing Lucknow in the World Baseball Classic.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Lucknow, India…nice place to visit, but…

4. darthicarus - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Two pieces of good news about Verlander today. This story & the comments he made to reporters about making it clear to his agent that he wanted to remain in Detroit (now if he actually gets the extension he’s after is a whole different story).

• COTorrey - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

amen to that.

5. hojo20 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

WBC = NFL Pro Bowl

6. Marty - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Too bad. With so few people watching, he’d probably pitch well.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3151)