Feb 11, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Carrie Muskat, who covers the Cubs for MLB.com, writes that Bourn to the Cubs is “not happening.” Could this be a case of Bourn’s agent, Scott Boras, making a last-ditch effort to create a market for his client?
8:06 PM: There’s been plenty of chatter over the past couple of weeks about a possible match between the Mets and Michael Bourn, but otherwise the market for the free agent outfielder has been eerily quiet. However, it seems there is one potential landing spot that has flown under the radar.
The Cubs continue to be on the fringes of the Michael Bourn talks. Remember: Their first-round pick is protected; he'd cost a 2nd-rounder.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) February 11, 2013
The Cubs currently project to begin the season with Alfonso Soriano in left field, David DeJesus in center field and a platoon of Nate Schierholtz and Scott Hairston in right field. If the Cubs were to swoop in and sign Bourn, they could move DeJesus into a corner and try to find a suitor for Soriano, who still has two years and $36 million left on his contract. Of course, they’d have to eat a big portion of his remaining contract to make that happen and Soriano has the ability to veto any deal.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 3
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)