Feb 11, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
When the Angels signed Ryan Madson to be their new closer they seemed pretty confident that he’d be ready for Opening Day after missing all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but suddenly that’s looking like a long shot.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Madson experienced a setback in his recovery when he had elbow soreness during a mound session on February 1 and hasn’t thrown since then.
Madson beginning the season on the disabled list would open the door for Ernesto Frieri to serve as closer. Madson’s one-year deal with the Angels is worth $3.5 million in guaranteed money, plus another $3.5 million in potential incentives based on games finished and days on the active roster.
Remember when the Phillies were on the verge of re-signing Madson to a four-year, $44 million contract last offseason and, at least according to agent Scott Boras, had agreed to the deal? Does wriggling out of those negotiations now count toward the “Ruben Amaro Jr. is a ninja” evidence?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)