Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
More fallout from the Curt Schilling controversy from last week. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has two sources with direct knowledge of the 2008 investigation into Schilling’s claims that a Red Sox employee suggested he take PEDs telling him that the claim by Schilling was “completely baseless.”
Theo Epstein and a spokesman for Major League Baseball said last week there was an investigation and that it did not result in discipline (more comment from Theo here). This report, however, seems to take it a bit further, suggesting not only was no wrongdoing found but suggesting that Schilling made it all up. For his part, Schilling stands by the story.
This has become such a weird story. I still wonder why initial responses from MLB and from Jed Hoyer suggested no knowledge of the incident. But that could be just a quirk of memory or a matter of people not fully authorized to say things vamping for time until official statements could be made. This stuff — the suggestion that Schilling was crying wolf — was even weirder.
Maybe a function of Schilling’s then well known dispute with the Red Sox about how to treat his injured shoulder? He wants surgery, they suggest treatment and medication and he, being the dramatic sort, takes that to be a suggestion to take PEDs?
No idea, but with Schilling I suppose anything is possible.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)