Feb 11, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s a done deal. Minor-league contract.
Hideki Okajima took a year off Major League Baseball and kicked some butt back in Japan, posting a a 0.94 ERA in 48 innings for the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks. Now he’s coming back and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that he and the A’s are close to a deal. She first reported their interest a couple of weeks ago.
She doesn’t say the nature of the deal, but it’s presumably a minor league contract.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 0
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72