The Braves new batting practice caps will NOT have the screaming Indian logo

Feb 11, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT

Braves BP caps

Back in December images of baseball’s new batting practice caps were leaked. The design for the Braves’ cap was hideous: the old “screaming Indian” logo that had been in mothballs for years, seen here to the right.  Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports, however, that that logo will not be used. The official batting practice caps are going to be a spring version of the navy cap with the script A:

While the “screaming Indian” logo was one of five proposed designs, the Braves said a decision on the design had not been made before the potential hats were leaked.

“I like the selection we made this year,” Braves president John Schuerholz said. “We had a variety of choices that we looked at, some more thoroughly than others. But at the end, we liked this one. The fact that one person somewhere offered his personal opinion about one of our options, that was important to him.

We’ll never know if public pressure and the negative reaction following the leak of the other design had anything to do with the choice, but it’s good to see that the Braves made the right choice.

Now: let’s see a team effort to cut out the stupid Tomahawk Chop.

1. jarathen - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

What? Now I have to unruffle my feathers? Thanks for nothing, Atlanta Braves.

2. townballblog - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Here we go again. Debate away.

> >

3. Jason Lukehart - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have a hard time believing the “leaked” design wasn’t what they were planning on going with, but whether there really was a mix up or they changed their mind after seeing the public’s response, I’m glad MLB and the Braves won’t be promoting that hat. It’s better to do the right thing for the wrong reason than stick with doing the wrong thing.

4. sportsdrenched - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Why does every year have to have a “new” cap? Are these guys trying to keep up with the Oregon Ducks? What’s wrong with the “normal” cap that they wear during the season? Now, get off my lawn.

• mavajo - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

It’s marketing. If you change the merchandise, then people have to buy new stuff to keep current. It’s the same reason that the NFL apparel changes every year, too.

5. eagles512 - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM

That’s a shame-was a cool hat and if anything seemed like a tribute.

6. 702heatrock - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

This hats racist against philly fans –> http://shop.neweracap.com/Animal/Style_Branded-Exclusive-Collection-59FIFTY-Cap/20487002

7. randygnyc - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I like the yelpin’ injun. Too bad everyone is so sensitive.

• forsch31 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You know, I always thought he was laughing. Either at opponents or his own team on the field….

• Reflex - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I’m hoping for more caricatures, honestly. Maybe a ‘moneychanger’ mascot with a over the top Jew, or perhaps a picaninny image of a black kid. Now that the Yanks have Ichiro, how about a “Yellow Threat” alt jersy and a hat with a buck toothed asian with slanty eyes?

As a Sicilian, perhaps I can find some really good imagry for my work softball team. I wouldn’t want to be oversensitive or anything, so we can get in on the act as well.

Racist imagry is cool, and nobody should ever be sensitive about it, ya know. I mean its all just in good fun and all.

• 18thstreet - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Totally! Why can’t people just lighten up? What, in American history, could make anyone think that native tribes are being treated unfairly? That’s just crazy talk.

8. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think Edvard Munch’s “Scream” face would look pretty good in place of the Chief.

9. pilonflats - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

cool looking hat

10. bat42boy - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That’s a shame. I found the logo looked very nice and was not offensive to me. It’s time for the majority to rule and the minority to shut up.

• ptfu - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

You may be in the minority.

11. JB (the original) - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I”m kind of partial to the Grimlock….

12. ryanrockzzz - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Nice to see our new highly sensative and cry baby society has won again. I find nothing offensive about this hat at all, except that it’s ugly….very very ugly.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

If you’re not a native America I couldn’t care less if you don’t find it offensive.

• forsch31 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The fipside argument, obviously, is that if you’re not a Native American, you should not be allowed any opinion on this.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Not being allowed, and me not caring about it are two completely different things.

13. realgone2 - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The epitome of non-story.

14. bravojawja - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

At last. Our long national nightmare is over (before it even began).

Also: laughing Indian, not screaming.

15. missingdiz - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It seems so easy for white boys to sneer at “sensitivity.” But then you don’t see white people turned into mascots or warped symbols. Let’s have a team named the “Honkies,” with a cartoon image of Donald Trump on the caps. Then we’ll see who’s sensitive.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

“Honkies?” Realy Diz? You come up with “honkies?” I haven’t heard that word since Mr. Jefferson used it while referring to Mr. Willis. How about Cracker? Cracker would be much better.
      The mascot could be an actual cracker. Lot’s of variations as well. Saltines, wheat, whole grain…
      The possibilities are limitless.

Regards,

A Caucasion
      But you can call me wheat thin…

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Um, the Atlanta Crackers, you mean? My grandfather played for them. There was an Atlanta Black Crackers team back then as well. It is rather disturbing to see my grandpa in a picture with “Crackers” across his chest. I know it’s a different meaning, but unnerving nonetheless.

Does this mean I can’t call you “Woodpecker” any more?

• Old Gator - Feb 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I find it offensive to be making honky jokes while the AFLAC duck hovers near death in a hospital bed.

16. micksmantle - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That’s a shame, I was planning on purchasing one of these for sure. I thought they looked awesome. But, I suppose I can rest easy knowing that the balding middle aged white baseball blogger will not be offended by the uniform of a baseball team that he isnt forced to support or watch. This whole taking offense thing sure is effective. Could I get away with complaining and being offended by a blogger who daily tries to be funny by writing 8th grade quality blog posts with sarcastic headlines about baseball? Worth a try.

17. louhudson23 - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM

It is not the “screaming” Brave. It is and always has been the “laughing” Brave. Get it?

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB