Feb 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Last year around this time A.J. Burnett was taking part in the Pirates’ bunting competition when he fouled a ball off his face and suffered an orbital fracture that required surgery and two months of recovery time.
Burnett missed the first three weeks of the regular season and apparently learned his lesson. When asked today what his plans were for this year’s bunting competition, Burnett said: “No. I’m out. I’ll bunt only if coach throws the ball. No machine pitch.”
Because so many people had gotten used to mocking Burnett for his performance with the Yankees the bunting injury last spring led to all sorts of ridicule, but once healthy he had a very good season for the Pirates with a 3.51 ERA and 180 strikeouts in 202 innings.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8