Feb 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Last year around this time A.J. Burnett was taking part in the Pirates’ bunting competition when he fouled a ball off his face and suffered an orbital fracture that required surgery and two months of recovery time.
Burnett missed the first three weeks of the regular season and apparently learned his lesson. When asked today what his plans were for this year’s bunting competition, Burnett said: “No. I’m out. I’ll bunt only if coach throws the ball. No machine pitch.”
Because so many people had gotten used to mocking Burnett for his performance with the Yankees the bunting injury last spring led to all sorts of ridicule, but once healthy he had a very good season for the Pirates with a 3.51 ERA and 180 strikeouts in 202 innings.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)