Feb 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
I’m not sure when Asia became MLB’s Island of Misfit Toys, but with Andruw Jones and possibly Manny Ramirez looking east, why not Zoidberg, er, Zambrano?
Source says Big Z may sign in Japan or Taiwan if he can’t get major league deal. #Cra-Z
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) February 12, 2013
Zambrano posted a 4.49 ERA and struck out 95 — while walking 75 — in 132 and a third innings with the Marlins last year. And, as Sullivan’s tweet suggests, he’s somewhat, well, nuts.
Still, he’s a healthy pitcher. And last I checked, just about every team is reported to need a pitcher or two every year, so if he’s in decent shape I could totally see a big league team taking a chance on him.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)