Feb 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
I’m not sure when Asia became MLB’s Island of Misfit Toys, but with Andruw Jones and possibly Manny Ramirez looking east, why not Zoidberg, er, Zambrano?
Source says Big Z may sign in Japan or Taiwan if he can’t get major league deal. #Cra-Z
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) February 12, 2013
Zambrano posted a 4.49 ERA and struck out 95 — while walking 75 — in 132 and a third innings with the Marlins last year. And, as Sullivan’s tweet suggests, he’s somewhat, well, nuts.
Still, he’s a healthy pitcher. And last I checked, just about every team is reported to need a pitcher or two every year, so if he’s in decent shape I could totally see a big league team taking a chance on him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 37
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 85
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)