Fernando Martinez heard the Astros’ message loud and clear

Feb 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EST

Fernando Martinez Getty Getty Images

A few weeks ago Astros manager Jeff Luhnow told reporters that Fernando Martinez‘s chances to make the Astros could be negatively impacted by his participation in the World Baseball Classic. Many people tut-tutted that comment as being wrongheaded because the WBC is supposed to be wonderful and everything, but for his part, Martinez got the message:

“I’m not going to play,” he said. “I’m going to stay here and prepare for the season … I just thought about and I figured it would be a lost couple of weeks and I want to make the team here.”

Good call. The Astros, potentially anyway, are gonna put food on Martinez’s table. Playing for the glory of Spain isn’t gonna do a whole heck of a lot.

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Martinez may think he’s a baseball player, but bronsonshores knows better.

2. historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Snarky remark about playing for the glory of the Astros.

3. thebadguyswon - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Good….the fewer players in the WBC, the quicker its gone.

• kjericho43 - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Why does everyone hate on the WBC? Sure, players and MLB teams don’t want to risk injuries. But as a fan? Baseball is baseball, dude. Anything beats a spring training game.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Absolutely. Baseball is very much baseball. Which is precisely why I watch little league, high school, small college, big college and MLB. So no…I am not going to draw the line at the WBC. Cause’ again…baseball is baseball.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I dont like the injury risk. And the whole country vs country thing works in soccer – but I just don’t see it in baseball.

4. howiekap - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

i have been to San Juan for the last 2 WBC…………..great atmosphere and a lot of fun

5. mazblast - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM

When you’re a failed mega-prospect, an at best marginal major league player, and you’re going to have to do well in spring training to make the roster of possibly the worst team in MLB, you tend to listen to management’s “suggestions”.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4783)
  2. M. Kemp (3782)
  3. M. Cabrera (2954)
  4. J. Kang (2946)
  5. J. Upton (2703)
  1. M. Morse (2651)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2406)
  3. C. McGehee (2346)