Feb 12, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
General manager Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins had slightly different public stances on Frank Francisco‘s job security as the Mets’ closer recently, but now all of that might not even matter.
Francisco told reporters today that his inflamed elbow is still an issue, causing him to be shut down, and when asked to put a percentage on how he’s feeling the right-hander replied: “I’m at zero.”
If he has to begin the season on the disabled list that would open the door for Bobby Parnell or recent signing Brandon Lyon to take over ninth-inning duties. And then once Francisco gets healthy again … who knows. Presumably the old “can’t lose your job while injured” thing doesn’t apply to someone whose job was in jeopardy to begin with.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (154)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)