Gio Gonzalez is confident his name will be cleared in the Biogenesis thing

Feb 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Gio Gonzalez Getty Getty Images

Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com is in Nationals camp in Viera, Florida, and he was on hand for Gio Gonzalez‘s first in-person comments to the media since the Biogenesis story broke. His full story is here.

The upshot: Gonzalez was “stunned” and “shocked” that his name showed up in the records, but says he’s “very confident” he’ll be cleared by MLB of any wrongdoing and again denied any relationship with Biogenesis or Anthony Bosch. He said his father was a patient at Bosch’s weight loss clinic but that he was not and did not use any PEDs. As for how his name could have appeared, he speculated:

“My father already admitted that he was a patient there, a legitimate patient,” Gonzalez said. “And then after that, you know how my father is. All of South Florida, all of baseball knows that my father is the most proud father in baseball. Says hi, tells everybody about his son. That’s the best I can say. Other than that, I have no clue why my name was on that list, or on the notebook or anything.”

He said he has fully cooperated with MLB and is waiting, like all of us, to hear if anything else comes of it.

1. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Nope, sorry.

Gowachin guilty.

• dcfan4life - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Do people like you ever actually read the reports, the finding, the facts and then make an informed decision? Or do you just read a headline designed to get readers to read the article and never actually read the article? Cuz if you did read it, you would know there is absolutely zero evidence Gio has done anything wrong.

• raysfan1 - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Dude, Gator is being facetious. The Gowachin are a fictional alien race depicted in a couple Frank Herbert novels, and one of their key traits is a thoroughly bizarre legal system.

• byjiminy - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

“There is absolutely zero evidence”?

Are you serious? Do you know what evidence is?

I think you mean, “There is absolutely zero proof.” That would be true.

Your name showing up in the ledger of a known drug zero is absolutely evidence. It’s circumstantial evidence, uncorroborated evidence, inconclusive evidence, whatever you want. He is innocent until proven guilty, all of that. But unless you’re intentionally trying to sound foolish, don’t say, “there is absolutely zero evidence Gio has done anything wrong.” Incorporating that into a statement insulting a rational person for not agreeing with your utter ignorance just makes you look like a total imbecile, and kind of an asshole to boot.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Raysfan: a bizarre legal system which, on a merely cursory inspection, closely resembles the legal and ethical methodology of the cosmic council of spawrtsrighters, spawrts torque raydeeo pandits and bloggers. In fact, only a Gowachin legum could possibly make sense of the logic used by spawrtsrighters to indict and condemn ballplayers like Mike Piazza who have never tested positive in their lives.

• raysfan1 - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

The Gowachin are more fair in that the members of the court are themselves on trial too.

• dcfan4life - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM

byjiminy, try reading a definition my man. Look up the word “evidence”, because clearly you dont know what it means or what qualifies. As of right now, nothing found in Miami thats been made public could every be used against Gio. Nothing. As in no evidence. Gios name is attached to a ledger, almost like a note. His name isnt on a supply list, a payment list, or a client list. So this finding, as it stands now, is NOT evidence. Is there doubt, yes. Is there suspicion, absolutely. But is there any evidence, no. As of right now not one piece. You are like many other people who didnt read anything and made an assumption. I read up on what they supposedly found on Gio. And i know what evidence is and means. Clearly, you do not. At least not in referencing this scenario. So come back at me when you know what your talking about. That is, if you ever know what your talking about…

2. jmcnick - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

yeah … and Jerry Sandusky was just horsing around in the shower.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

JUST when I thought commenters couldn’t get any lower along comes THIS guy…

facepalm

• historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM

/drops one silent but violent and sneaks off to another post

• jmcnick - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

stunned and shocked …..

• paperlions - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You might want to dip into that purse for some chemistry.

3. losangelesfan - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I’m stunned and shocked that he claims to be stunned and shocked.

4. cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

From all indications Biogenesis was a big operation with a large client list. The chances are some of those clients are going to be related to famous people (ask Kevin Bacon about that one). Everything I’ve read indicates Anthony Bosch was pretty full of himself. The chance to aggrandize himself with Gio’s name in his notes fits with a guy who was writing his own press releases. Do we have anything more than the ego-inflated notes and ramblings of Anthony Bosch? Because this, so far, is a story with limited credibility.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Thank you Mr. Armstrong.

BTW, if you don’t want people saying for no reason at all that Gio is guilty, do not turn around and say for no reason at all that he is innocent. You don’t know the truth and neither do I.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thank you Mr. Straw Man. Where did I say he was innocent? I said the story “SO FAR” had limited credibility. I’d like some actual proof: maybe a witness who SAW Gio, or even Alex Rodriguez. Maybe delivery guy who took them something. Perhaps a failed test. SOMETHING MORE than some handwritten notes and anonymous sources who can’t even get dates right and don’t seem to know that HGH and testosterone are NOT given by IV. If you have some evidence lets see it. Keep in mind your evidence better be pretty solid and not the crazed ramblings of that narcissist, Anthony Bosch.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

” If you have some evidence lets see it.”

Okay

I said “I don’t know the truth and neither do you”. My evidence is that you don’t know the truth (or do you?), and that I don’t know the truth (I don’t, I swear)

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That what in tarnation are you opening with “Thank You Mr. Armstrong” for? Your position now seems to be exactly the same as mine hence you can paint your self with your Mr. Armstrong brush, too. Seems to me if you have a neat (in your mind) line and you wanna use it, save it for an appropriate context.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

No, my position is not the same as yours. I don’t claim to know why Gio’s name was listed . You attribute it to ego inflated notes, and self-aggrandizing? You have nothing to base that on at all – and it make you sound like Lance.

The process will work itself out

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Clearly you don’t pay attention. Gonzalez’s name comes up in Bosch’s notes. In fact, if you read Craig’s post (its up there^^^) you’ll see “Gonzalez was “stunned” and “shocked” that his name showed up in the records”. Bosch’s notes list Gio Gonzalez as a customer:

So what’s your point again?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My point is that you are the worlds leading expert on Biogenesis, a company you never heard of 2 weeks ago. I don’t even know why MLB is wasting there time looking into anybody, when all they have to do is call you

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Can you manage to be less snide? Seriously, what is your problem? I want better evidence before jumping to some conclusion. You seem to as well. Nevertheless, your responses show increasing evidence of a seriously chapped ass over dog-knows-what. Every single thing I’ve said is confirmed. Just like you asked. Its published and you are not refuting it. Instead you’re off on some ad hominem kick for some idiotic reason. Fine, then. Lets play it your way.

Here’s an idea, fucktard: when you ask for evidence of why a person thinks like they do, deal with it when they then point it out. If you are too stupid, close minded, moronic, or willfully obtuse (which is the worse thing thing I can think of to call someone) to handle a simple discussion, then don’t attempt to engage in them.

Now I’m done bandying words with an obvious jerk-off, so feel free to have the last word on the matter.

5. raysfan1 - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Gio Gonzales’ name is in the personal notes of Anthony Bosch. Bosch in turn is suspected of providing PEDs to athletes.

Obviously for some, that tenuous association is enough to declare him guilty and to break out the tar and feathers.

Never mind that Bosch is a narcissistic schmuck. Never mind that unlike some other supposed clients, Gonzales’ name is not connected to any PED distribution. Never mind that there is no actual accusation by anyone in authority of any misdeed whatsoever.

6. voteforno6 - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Maybe these players were on Bosch’s fantasy baseball team.

7. thebadguyswon - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Cheater

8. nvillano - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I am not one to believe these guys, but this is the closest to legit as I can believe. Ryan Braun on the other hand…..any way check out the crazy month we have endured in sports!

• thebadguyswon - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Thanks, because everyone clicks on Hardball Talk hoping that they can find a link to some guy’s blog written from his aunt’s basement. Hope you strike it rich.

9. dawglb - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Book ‘em, Dano.

10. baseballer28 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Guilty as charged…this dude is a so, so pitcher until he comes over to a contender and magically has the best year of his life. His fastball WAS a few mph faster last year then in previous years, not to mention that his “alibi” is complete BS. Its just perfect for him that his father happen to go to a clinic for weight loss, the same clinic where all his MLB buddies are getting roids from…this guy is f##king classless and a lier. The Miami New Tiimes wouldn’t have released his name if they weren’t sure of it…libel, character defamation, etc…they would open themselves up to major lawsuits from ballplayers who def have the money to go after that newspaper, but as I know, none of that is happening which should lead one to assume there’s a reason why its not happening. Not to mention that 3 of the names along side his have already been busted and served suspensions. He was juiced last year…just go look at a pic from the season before in Oaktown. I wounldn’t doubt that that mickey mouse organization down in DC has more guys on that list. Mike Morse has always been juiced, and he already got busted back in ’06. Zimmerman, Espinosa, Ramos-these strike me as the users on that team. It’s what happens when you’ve been the basenment team in your divison forever…The nats and their bandwagon fans should all just go to hell.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS