Feb 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com is in Nationals camp in Viera, Florida, and he was on hand for Gio Gonzalez‘s first in-person comments to the media since the Biogenesis story broke. His full story is here.
The upshot: Gonzalez was “stunned” and “shocked” that his name showed up in the records, but says he’s “very confident” he’ll be cleared by MLB of any wrongdoing and again denied any relationship with Biogenesis or Anthony Bosch. He said his father was a patient at Bosch’s weight loss clinic but that he was not and did not use any PEDs. As for how his name could have appeared, he speculated:
“My father already admitted that he was a patient there, a legitimate patient,” Gonzalez said. “And then after that, you know how my father is. All of South Florida, all of baseball knows that my father is the most proud father in baseball. Says hi, tells everybody about his son. That’s the best I can say. Other than that, I have no clue why my name was on that list, or on the notebook or anything.”
He said he has fully cooperated with MLB and is waiting, like all of us, to hear if anything else comes of it.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17