Is Otis Nixon scamming families of prison inmates?

Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Otis Nixon

Via Big League Stew, here’s a local news report from Atlanta — one of those I-Team investigation/sting teams things — which appears to catch former Braves center fielder Otis Nixon scamming families of prison inmates.¬†Good times, especially the bit in the video when the reporter talks about “stealing, robbing and defying the law” on the baseball field being OK but not out in public.

The hamfisted flair of local news aside, the report tells a pretty damning tale about Nixon telling lies and making promises he couldn’t possibly keep to the families of prison inmates, taking their money in the process.

If there’s illegality here — and, yes, it looks like it — this won’t be the first time Nixon has broken the law. Just sad.

So, in the past few days we’ve had posts about Otis Nixon and Deion Sanders. Stay tuned for Albert Hall and Deion James updates.

1. heyblueyoustink - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Top of my personal list for offenses I would not want to go to prison for, facing inmates:

Ripping off inmates families, of course.

I’m sure that’ll go over well in general population.

2. Ducky Medwick - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Wonder what Steve ‘Bedrock’ Bedrosian has been up to. That was the first beard I truly admired.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Apparently being (rightfully) livid about some pervy teacher posting pictures of girls from his daughter’s school on something called “Creepshots” (really dudes? This exists?)

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

So lets just say once and for all – the Braves were wrong, wrong, wrong in the Otis Nixon-Wally Ricthie flap

In the on of the classiest move in history – the bad blood ultimately saw Tom Glavine trying to bean Dale Murphy

Apology accepted, Craig

• bobulated - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes, Murphy certainly was in terrible danger as he smiled while ducking the 50mph eephus pitches Glavine gently lobbed in his general direction.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM

So the Braves were sending a message by throwing at Murphy….but they weren’t really throwing at him. And Glavine felt horrible about it….even though it did not really occur.

None of which, of course, answers why they could not throw at the next Phillie batter – can’t recall who the batter was who, but I am positive he had not won 2 MVP awards in Atlanta.

• bobulated - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Was Nixon wrong for what happened with Ritchie? Yes. And the Phillies took care of it by throwing at him. But the Braves had to retaliate too and Murph was perfect to “throw” at because he wouldn’t escalate it by trying to fight and unlike so many similar situations nowadays, it was known by everyone on the field then that the messages were over at that point.
        Murph knew what was going on, Tommy G knew what was going on, every player and ump on the field knew what was going on.
        I find it more funny that Philly fans are still bleating about a non-issue that was taken care of and over on the field over 20 years ago.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Well – surely you would agree that part of the magic of baseball is reliving events. And you can’t find it “funny” that Phillies fans remember – you seem to have the details down pat :)

• bobulated - Feb 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Lol, I actually remember watching it on TBS, grew up just south of ATL, was in college at the time. That ’91 season was crazy and was back when all the games were on TBS so I probably either watched or attended pretty much every game that season.
        Besides, it’s not every day you see an All-star for the team you follow throw at the guy you grew up worshiping. I even remember Don Sutton telling Skip Cary it was going to happen right before it happened. That moment is probably still fresh in many Braves fans minds even now.

4. kirkvanhouten - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

There are few things I can think of that are worse than a man who made $19,000,000 in his career scamming families who are likely overwhelmingly poor and desperate. It takes a special kind of piece of shit to pull of such a feat.

• skinsfanwill - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Couldn’t have put that better myself.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yep

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If guilty, stick a needle in his arm and forget about him.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Wow! It took over an hour for someone to take their disgust to a completely irrational extreme!

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

WoW It only tooks minutes for the small minded, tiny picture thinking bleeding heart majority to waddle over and yammer how society is better off spending billions on prison after prison after prison. Spending hundreds of million housing them, feeding them, paying others to hold the key to their cage, when it could be solved easily.
        You get caught red-handed destroying the weak and disadvantaged, you risk your life.
        You get caught committing a crime using a firearm, you risk your life
        You get caught taking bribes/corruption as a public official, you risk your life.

This is how you fix this country, destroy the scum, not coddle and foolishly let them out after sitting in the corner for a time out all the while making taxpayers foot the bill.

But it’s yours and every other bleeding heart idiot who wants to spend yours and my money sticking them in a expensive hole hoping to never see them again rather than sticking them in a 6 foot hole and knowing you will never see them again.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Oh and in writing this 20-30 innocent people died around the world from starvation or victims of crime. Why don’t you spend money saving them rather than spending yours and everyone else’s on another prison and sticking scumbags in them temporarily. Where’s your moral outrage for them?
        What you call irrational extreme I call prioritizing

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Awesome philosophy Mister! I think your political philosophies on crime and punishment may be more at home in Saudi Arabia if you want to check that out. I hear there incredibly hard stand on crime, with public beheadings and the like makes it a incredibly safe and wonderful place to live.

Also, the death penality with all it’s appeals and what not is much more expensive than alternatives, such as life in prison.

Also, if you are about to say we shouldn’t have all those appeals, allow me to respond with the words “West Memphis 3″…in which 20 years of appeals is what an innocent man from execution (which I believe is called “murder” when you kill an innocent person). But hey, don’t let simple logic clog of that thick skull of yours! I’m sure such nuanced complexity won’t fit in a brain that can only process simply codes such as “fire hot!”

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

YAWN
        I stopped reading when you ran to the idiot retort of basically chopping off hands for stealing bread and tried to paint my opinion as an endorsement of public executions for entertainment and that people should get death for any crime.

Don’t expect another reply after you just complete did the predictable and put words in my mouth and fool examples that I never suggested in an attempt to discredit.

You’re a pathetic lil boy based on your reply. Buh Bye

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh and If I tell a scumbag if he’s robs that elderly woman I’ll end his life, and he robs her anyways. Who’s fault is it when he’s dead? I know the majorities fool answer.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well retorted. Did you take debate classes?

Just so I’m clear, you think it’s a-okay to execute thieves and people who take bribes, just as long as it’s not public? Got it! I totally take back my comments. You are a humanitarian of the highest order.

5. bobulated - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

“I am not a crook.” ~ either famous Nixon

6. billgatesbarber - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Otis! My main man! Rough week, buddy. First they remove your likeness from the Braves BP hats and now you get busted by the I-team’s own Randy Travis. Maybe the Governor can clear this one up for you. I’m sure better days are on the horizon…Creflo Dollar should be calling any minute to offer you a job.

7. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Gowachin guilty!

8. Shafer's Dealer - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

What a dick…

9. Brian Murphy - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I like how they used a clip of him grounding out. They couldn’t use a clip of him getting a hit or stealing a base or something successful?

10. wpjohnson - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I would consider Otis innocent until proven guilty. The source is strictly manure.

As for Braves fans, the most exciting teams in Atlanta were those that featured Otis and Neon. All those slow footed white boys leave a lot to be desired.

Three legends off to Cooperstown