Miguel Montero on Trevor Bauer: “He never wanted to listen”

Feb 12, 2013, 6:48 AM EST

Trevor Bauer Getty Images

It was understood that the Diamondbacks trade of pitching prospect Trevor Bauer had more to do with the team’s opinion of his attitude than its opinion of his talent. Yes, he struggled during his callup last year, but he just turned 22 and struck out 11.5 batters per nine innings in two minor league seasons. A bit better control and this kid could be a star.

In light of that, unloading him for Didi Gregorius and Tony Sipp had just as much if not more to do with the Dbacks not liking the cut of Bauer’s jib than his pitching chops.

Adam Green of Arizona Sports.com spoke to Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero and Montero was unusually forthcoming about just how little Arizona cared for that jib:

“When you get a guy like that and he thinks he’s got everything figured out, it’s just tough to commence and try to get on the same page with you … Since day one in Spring Training I caught him and he killed me because he threw about 100 pitches the first day,” Montero said, adding he told Bauer he should take it a bit slower and work on locating his fastball first before working on his breaking pitches. “And he said ‘yes’, and the next time he threw I saw him doing the same thing,” Montero said. “He never wanted to listen … Good luck to Carlos Santana.”

Yikes.

It’s hard for me to not have a bit of sympathy for Bauer. Smarts + youth + confidence + stubbornness is not an easy set of attributes to carry in a lot of settings. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I will say I’m a pretty smart guy. But I am also stubborn and when I was young I didn’t just sound arrogant, I often was, and I had an unwarranted confidence in my own abilities.  When I got out of law school I got into a professional environment where there was a Way of Doing Things, and I didn’t especially cotton to it. I’d buck it and think I knew better. Sometimes, yes, I actually did. I still think a lot of things I was expected to do as a baby lawyer were dumb and unnecessary.

After a while, though, I came to realize that the Way of Doing Things was in place for a lot of good reasons. It still chafed. I still often felt that I knew better. I still had an awful time trying to conform to the Way of Doing Things. But that Way, when I gave it a chance, usually made my life easier and helped me learn and grow. I learned and grew way more slowly, however, than the people who came in with some humility, an open mind and the realization that the folks who were in charge of the Way of Doing Things had at least some method to their apparent madness.

This is not to say that Kirk Gibson, Miguel Montero and the Arizona Diamondbacks have a monopoly on wisdom when it comes to how to integrate a then-21 year-old phenom into a big league setting. To the contrary, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. Especially when that cat is a smart, young, confident and stubborn pitcher. Indeed, because a talented pitcher is a far more rare and valuable commodity than a kid out of law school, a team can and should at least try to tailor their Way of Doing Things to the talent they have as opposed to insisting on some My Way or the Highway approach. There have been flaky pitchers in the past and there will be flaky pitchers in the future. If they’re good, they always find homes.

But if what Montero is saying is true, and Bauer was unwilling to at least try to meet him and the Diamondbacks halfway — to at least give their far more experienced Way of Doing Things a chance — it suggests that the young man is going to have more trouble than most navigating the path between phenom and ace. Maybe Terry Francona and Carlos Santana are guys who can handle Bauer and tailor a system to suit his needs. But maybe they’re not. Maybe it will take two or three more stops and contentious spring trainings before Bauer either changes or finds someone with whom he can click.

I managed to eventually make peace with the Way of Doing Things in my legal career. But it was a rough peace, it took longer than it should have and, ultimately, it probably contributed to that career not being as long or as successful as it could have been had I been on board from day one.  Here’s hoping that doesn’t happen to Trevor Bauer.

Or, if it does happen, here’s hoping he finds a place where he can work by himself all day like I did. That’s a pretty great setting for smart, overly-confident and stubborn people. We’re a very hard to work with bunch.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Ernie Banks remembered

Jan 25, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

ernie banks getty Getty Images

MLB Network looks back on the career of Ernie Banks, who died Friday at the age of 83 …

2. Tommy Milone had a benign tumor removed from his neck

Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EST

Tommy Milone Tommy Milone

Tommy Milone underwent neck surgery in December to remove a benign tumor, but he was able to resume throwing just over two weeks later.

3. Twins GM Terry Ryan could see Byron Buxton debuting in 2015

Jan 24, 2015, 9:35 PM EST

Byron Buxton Getty Images

Top prospect Byron Buxton could be wearing a Twins uniform in the major leagues at some point this season according to GM Terry Ryan.

4. Tigers, Al Alburquerque avoid arbitration with a one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Al Alburquerque AP

The Tigers and reliever Al Alburquerque avoided arbitration with a one-year deal on Saturday.

5. Proposed Jonathan Papelbon trade to Brewers is “on life support”

Jan 24, 2015, 7:25 PM EST

Jonathan Papelbon Jonathan Papelbon

A Jonathan Papelbon trade to the Brewers may not be happening after all.

6. Mariners considering bringing back Franklin Gutierrez

Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST

Franklin Gutierrez Getty Images

Franklin Gutierrez could make a return to the Mariners. The 31-year-old outfielder has had trouble staying healthy over the last few years.

7. Twins and Brian Duensing agree to one-year deal to avoid arbitration

Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EST

Brian Duensing Getty Getty Images

Duensing he has been useful and durable as a middle reliever over the past two seasons, posting a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+) in 115 1/3 innings over 135 appearances.

8. Report: Brandon Beachy has decided on a team

Jan 24, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Brandon Beachy AP

Beachy is currently making his way back from his second Tommy John surgery.

9. Report: More than 200 scouts attended recent workout for Cuban infielder Hector Olivera

Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST

Hector Olivera Getty Getty Images

The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.

10. 1953 scouting report for Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Check out this scouting report from when Banks was 22 years old.

11. Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

MLB Photos Archive

From the start, even in those turbulent times, even though Chicago was finding its way in a changing America, people in Chicago did not see the color of his skin. From the start, Chicago loved Ernie Banks.

12. Ryan Vogelsong “really wasn’t comfortable with what was going on” with Astros before returning to Giants

Jan 24, 2015, 2:16 PM EST

vogelsong getty Getty Images

Did something strange happen between Ryan Vogelsong and the Astros which led to his return to the Giants?

13. Vince Coleman joining White Sox staff to help with baserunning

Jan 24, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

Vince Coleman Getty Getty Images

Coleman, who ranks sixth on MLB’s all-time list with 752 stolen bases, spent last the two seasons as a minor league outfield/baserunning coach with the Astros.

14. Athletics and Fernando Abad avoid arbitration with one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Fernando Abad AP AP

Abad, 29, posted an excellent 1.57 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio across 57 1/3 innings out of Oakland’s bullpen in 2014.

15. What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Reactions from a baseball world in mourning after the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks.

16. Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred

Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

With Rob Manfred set to take over for Bud Selig as MLB commissioner on Sunday, Alex Rodriguez recently paid him a visit in an attempt to clear the air and turn the page on the drama surrounding the Biogenesis scandal.

17. Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83

Jan 23, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks

There was only one Mr. Cub. And he was one of the greatest men in baseball history.

18. Indians showing interest in Nolan Reimold

Jan 23, 2015, 10:55 PM EST

Nolan Reimold Nolan Reimold

The Indians are considering bringing Nolan Reimold on board.

19. Astros, Marwin Gonzalez avoid arbitration with a one-year contract

Jan 23, 2015, 9:50 PM EST

The Astros and utilityman Marwin Gonzalez avoided arbitration on Friday.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester