Feb 12, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports has the scoop:
Brandon Inge is close to signing with the Pirates, according to sources.
Inge is expected to sign a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
The 35-year-old infielder batted just .218/.275/.383 across 331 plate appearances last season between the Tigers and Athletics. But he does boast some pop, which is something that has been missing from the Pirates’ bench over the past few summers.
Inge has averaged 17 home runs for every 162 games over the course of his 12-year MLB career.
UPDATE, 9:43 PM: The deal has been agreed upon, according to MLB.com’s Tom Singer.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)