Feb 12, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports has the scoop:
Brandon Inge is close to signing with the Pirates, according to sources.
Inge is expected to sign a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
The 35-year-old infielder batted just .218/.275/.383 across 331 plate appearances last season between the Tigers and Athletics. But he does boast some pop, which is something that has been missing from the Pirates’ bench over the past few summers.
Inge has averaged 17 home runs for every 162 games over the course of his 12-year MLB career.
UPDATE, 9:43 PM: The deal has been agreed upon, according to MLB.com’s Tom Singer.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead