Feb 12, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports has the scoop:
Brandon Inge is close to signing with the Pirates, according to sources.
Inge is expected to sign a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
The 35-year-old infielder batted just .218/.275/.383 across 331 plate appearances last season between the Tigers and Athletics. But he does boast some pop, which is something that has been missing from the Pirates’ bench over the past few summers.
Inge has averaged 17 home runs for every 162 games over the course of his 12-year MLB career.
UPDATE, 9:43 PM: The deal has been agreed upon, according to MLB.com’s Tom Singer.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)