Feb 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Johnson spent the past two seasons as the Rays’ utility man, but was designated for assignment last week along with Reid Brignac as Tampa Bay cleared 40-man roster space.
Johnson isn’t much of a hitter, batting .223 with a .621 OPS in 200 career games through age 28, but he’s a very good defensive infielder with plus speed and seemingly has a good shot to claim a spot on the Royals’ bench.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)