Feb 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Johnson spent the past two seasons as the Rays’ utility man, but was designated for assignment last week along with Reid Brignac as Tampa Bay cleared 40-man roster space.
Johnson isn’t much of a hitter, batting .223 with a .621 OPS in 200 career games through age 28, but he’s a very good defensive infielder with plus speed and seemingly has a good shot to claim a spot on the Royals’ bench.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 45
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 35
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)