Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Angels right-hander Ryan Madson is undergoing an MRI Tuesday evening on his surgically-repaired pitching elbow. The hope in Angels camp is that the exam will show nothing more than mild inflammation.
Madson began feeling soreness in his elbow when he ramped up his offseason throwing program earlier this month. He is around 10 months removed from his April 2012 Tommy John reconstructive surgery.
If the MRI shows no structural damage, Madson will be cleared to resume regular pitching workouts. If it reveals a larger issue, the 32-year-old can be ruled out for the start of the regular season and the Angels can turn ninth-inning duties back over to Ernesto Frieri.
Madson signed a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim back in late November.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 8
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 3
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (86)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)