Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Angels right-hander Ryan Madson is undergoing an MRI Tuesday evening on his surgically-repaired pitching elbow. The hope in Angels camp is that the exam will show nothing more than mild inflammation.
Madson began feeling soreness in his elbow when he ramped up his offseason throwing program earlier this month. He is around 10 months removed from his April 2012 Tommy John reconstructive surgery.
If the MRI shows no structural damage, Madson will be cleared to resume regular pitching workouts. If it reveals a larger issue, the 32-year-old can be ruled out for the start of the regular season and the Angels can turn ninth-inning duties back over to Ernesto Frieri.
Madson signed a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim back in late November.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)