Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Angels right-hander Ryan Madson is undergoing an MRI Tuesday evening on his surgically-repaired pitching elbow. The hope in Angels camp is that the exam will show nothing more than mild inflammation.
Madson began feeling soreness in his elbow when he ramped up his offseason throwing program earlier this month. He is around 10 months removed from his April 2012 Tommy John reconstructive surgery.
If the MRI shows no structural damage, Madson will be cleared to resume regular pitching workouts. If it reveals a larger issue, the 32-year-old can be ruled out for the start of the regular season and the Angels can turn ninth-inning duties back over to Ernesto Frieri.
Madson signed a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim back in late November.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)