Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Angels right-hander Ryan Madson is undergoing an MRI Tuesday evening on his surgically-repaired pitching elbow. The hope in Angels camp is that the exam will show nothing more than mild inflammation.
Madson began feeling soreness in his elbow when he ramped up his offseason throwing program earlier this month. He is around 10 months removed from his April 2012 Tommy John reconstructive surgery.
If the MRI shows no structural damage, Madson will be cleared to resume regular pitching workouts. If it reveals a larger issue, the 32-year-old can be ruled out for the start of the regular season and the Angels can turn ninth-inning duties back over to Ernesto Frieri.
Madson signed a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim back in late November.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (122)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)