Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Angels right-hander Ryan Madson is undergoing an MRI Tuesday evening on his surgically-repaired pitching elbow. The hope in Angels camp is that the exam will show nothing more than mild inflammation.
Madson began feeling soreness in his elbow when he ramped up his offseason throwing program earlier this month. He is around 10 months removed from his April 2012 Tommy John reconstructive surgery.
If the MRI shows no structural damage, Madson will be cleared to resume regular pitching workouts. If it reveals a larger issue, the 32-year-old can be ruled out for the start of the regular season and the Angels can turn ninth-inning duties back over to Ernesto Frieri.
Madson signed a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim back in late November.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)